Creating Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis

99.44% certain it's not Microplex. All you need is an adapter, 5-3.

Besides Light-O-Rama, what console do you have? Even a two-scene preset could control the fixtures, but to do a ripple effect like in post #22 probably requires a memory system, Express or better. Certainly easier on, but not exclusive to, consoles that have an Effects Engine or package.

I've used both Light-o-Rama and Vixen. They are, in essence memory controllers and this effect is similar to those done with Christmas light displays, which both packages are designed for. Should be fairly easy, in fact.
The OP has an Ion too, apparently so he really should be using that.

That might be a viable option, depending on how long the effect must run. We tried fog, but it rose too much in our space, plus we have fire alarms to worry about with a low ceiling/flyspace. The fog also was more effects fog (fast dissipating), so we didn't exactly have the right equipment to use...

This would be a good application for a hazer. Not so much with your alarm system, but a haze hanging in the air would add just enough to hold and extend the lighting effects into 3 dimensions.

This would be a good application for a hazer. Not so much with your alarm system, but a haze hanging in the air would add just enough to hold and extend the lighting effects into 3 dimensions.

We have a hazer, but there was some reason our TD didn't want to use it. I believe it had something to do with fire alarms, as well haze moving out into the house - but also because it just didn't look right with random swirls moving in and out of the light.

We have a ETC Ion Light Board, but our LEDs, for some reason, doesnt work wit it.

Did you patch the LEDs right? On the back there ought to be some sort of device (buttons or dip switches or something) to give it an address. I like giving mine 10 apart even if I dont need 10 channels per, it just makes addressing them by student volunteers easier and less problematic. Also make sure you are plugged in the port you want, then patch them as RGB LEDs at the proper universe and address (so 2/1 or 2/2 , alternatively 002 or 514 for Address 02 in U1 and U2 respectively).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back