crew training

The biggest issue I have now is actually getting non-theatre/actor kids in the class. I've got a lot of interested parties (mostly seniors who have room in their schedule for a "fun" class and will be gone in 7 months :(), but our tech crew is about 16 and I feel any more than that I can't train at one time. I usually break them into groups and take four upstairs at a time, but then I've got 12 rambunctious actors screwing around on the deck while I'm trying to explain how not to drop weights on their heads. This year I really feel the emphasis is going to be on professionalism more than anything else.

I like the idea of a large crew, but I need to find those quiet, tech-nerdy kids instead of the loud, gregarious actor kids. We currently only have one class of stagecraft, and everyone cross-trains on everything. Everyone helps in the build. I try to let the stronger kids design our children's show (set, lights, sound), but other than that design decisions are made mostly from myself or more regularly the drama teacher. When it comes time for a school show, I hand pick the run crew based on experience or need for experience (e.g. putting a weaker sound kid on A2 so she learns the ropes from a strong A1). But this also is decided after they've already been cast, so when the majority of my tech class is advanced drama kids it's looking grim. I'm pretty impartial on the whole "ageist" thing though. I've had freshmen that were green as a shamrock but would listen and follow through and I'll take that kid over a senior who thinks they've got it figured out.

My big target for now is to create a means for recruiting 8th and 9th graders into the program, so I can catch them before they've been pulled into a dozen other areas and really build up a culture in the tech crew. I feel like if that were the case then I could rely more on the older kids who have 2-3 years in to lead the younger ones and potentially have a larger class that I know I can trust. I had a decent crew last year, but not much leadership from the kids this year. At least so far.

but then I've got 12 rambunctious actors screwing around on the deck while I'm trying to explain how not to drop weights on their heads......

...... I had a decent crew last year, but not much leadership from the kids this year. At least so far.

For my class, whenever I need to work with a small section, I have the rest of the class working on another assignment. For example: read this play for homework, research these lighting terms, figure out what props are needed for this show, etc...
When I have the full crew and can only work with one part at a time, I either have them painting base coats on flats, learning to properly wrap a cord, learning how to tie a tie, or some other 'fun' skill that they need to know.

As far as developing leadership. The best way I have found to get older kids to step up, is to promote a younger student to supervise. Last year when I promoted a sophomore to be my lead painter, it showed the juniors that they needed to step up their game, and the freshman that if they were ready for leadership positions next year I was willing to give it to them.

As far as recruiting younger students... I'm super lucky in that my middle school does two productions a year as part of their class. This gives me a chance to work with the future techs and get them excited about the cool stuff they'll be able to do when they get to high school. My only suggestions would be to have an informational table available at freshman orientation and conferences. Most freshman parents go to conferences and that can be a good opportunity to get parents on your side.

I definitely operate in the 'divide and conquer' methodology, but it's difficult with some to keep them on task. However, this crew surprised me yesterday when we had to strip an electric that we set up for a Christian rock band show we hosted. Everyone performed incredibly professionally, which is awesome because I hadn't seen that from these guys as a group yet.

That's a sweet setup with the MS. We had a chorus teacher at our feeder MS that did a bit of theatrical stuff and I was going to try and drum up some support from her by having my kids tech her shows, but she just moved to Brooklyn :(

I definitely operate in the 'divide and conquer' methodology, but it's difficult with some to keep them on task. However, this crew surprised me yesterday when we had to strip an electric that we set up for a Christian rock band show we hosted. Everyone performed incredibly professionally, which is awesome because I hadn't seen that from these guys as a group yet.

That's a sweet setup with the MS. We had a chorus teacher at our feeder MS that did a bit of theatrical stuff and I was going to try and drum up some support from her by having my kids tech her shows, but she just moved to Brooklyn :(
Good to hear that they stepped their game up. Gotta love when they surprise you in the good way!

Yeah, last year the MS had two classes with 60 students each. This year they have four classes of 60 so they are double casting their shows :/
I can't believe they didn't cap their numbers, but administration did want to....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back