Crossover frequency for a sub

cmckeeman

So my college has two subs with no identifying markings and i am wondering if there is any way to find out what frequency to set the crossover for them, is there any easy rule of thumb or formula based on the size of the cones or will i just have to go off of a general crossover range if i can't find the make and model.

There is no formula and if you don't have the proper analysis tools and the expertise to use them then you may be limited to picking some starting point and playing around until you find what sounds best.

A major reason for this is that while the electronic crossover affects the audio signal, what you actually hear is the acoustic crossover between the outputs of the subs and mains. Thus the relative levels of the subs and mains, their response through crossover, their interaction with the room and even the relative locations of the subs and mains to one another and to the listener or measurement point can also factor into what are the 'best' crossover settings.

Another factor in this is the crossover itself and what adjustments it allows. It may be a simple crossover that only allows selecting a frequency. Or it may be a more advanced device that allows adjusting level, corner frequency, filter type, order/slope and even delay independently for the high pass and low pass filters. And for subwoofers, along with the crossover to the main speaker there may also be a high pass filter to filter out frequencies that are below that sub's range.

If you do have to guess at a starting frequency that may depend upon the boxes involved. For a full range box with a 15" woofer and significant low frequency output used with an 18" subwoofer you might start at 80Hz or so while for a 15" or 12" sub to a very small main you might want to start at 120Hz or even 150Hz. The more information you can provide on the mains and subs involved, the better estimate at an approrpiate starting point that can be offered.

depending on sub location, you will not want anything above 100hz, unless they are under the mains. if you have them center clustered, corner loaded or backstage, anything higher than 100 and the bass will be locate-able. with my small system I crossover at 80 hz some nights and 90 another, it varies with indoor to outdoor. and I have 2 t60s (horn subs) and 2 dual 6s for mains. surely the little 6's don't go that low, but the overall sound sounds better set up that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back