Crossover Questions

Eboy87

So I can't seem to wrap my head around this, and I'm normally good about laying out circuits. So, I have a pair of JBL SR4722 cabinets that I'm in the process of replacing the 1/4" inputs with two NL4's, and adding a switch to switch between bi-amp and passive. One NL4 is the input, one the output. Think SRX series here on how they do it.

The problem I'm having is trying to wire up the pins in each and a switch. I was planning on using pins 1+ 1- for passive, but put the highs on pin 1+ 1-, and the lows on pin 2+ 2- when switched to active. That's easy enough. I run into trouble when trying to incorporate it into the crossover. I just can't figure out how to do it, which is starting to piss me off because I know it's a simple solution. I think my problem is in figuring out which wire leads to which section.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

I may have part of it figured out, but I'll give it another go in the morning. Mainly, I need to print out the circuit diagram from the manual I have so I can mark it up, then figure out how I'm going to wire the switch in. I'll post back later with what I've come up with.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Without knowing it you have almost described the NL4 standard wiring!

The only difference is to use the +-1 pins for the lows and the +-2 pins for the highs. Switch the highs between being fed by the internal crossover and the +-2 pins for bi-amp capability. With this wiring, if someone accidently hooks up to full range feed when the speakers are switched to bi-amp, the high frequency drivers will not be blown. See "biamp wiring" drawing at the bottom right of this document for a wiring diagram for the connectors.

Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back