• Match the rake

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Match level

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

FatherMurphy

I'm getting ready to install legs and borders on a raked stage at a local venue, and the question has been raised as to which makes more sense (visually or technically) - setting border trims so that they're all the same height from the stage, or all at the same level height? Matching the slope of the stage results in a rising stagger as viewed from the seats, but setting them level results in progressively lower trims relative to the actor, resulting in a sort of forced perspective look.

I'm using extra long trim chains, so either look will be possible, I'm just curious as to the preferences here.

PS - No fly system, everything's deadhung, so whatever I set will probably stay for quite a while.

I'm getting ready to install legs and borders on a raked stage at a local venue, and the question has been raised as to which makes more sense (visually or technically) - setting border trims so that they're all the same height from the stage, or all at the same level height? Matching the slope of the stage results in a rising stagger as viewed from the seats, but setting them level results in progressively lower trims relative to the actor, resulting in a sort of forced perspective look.

I'm using extra long trim chains, so either look will be possible, I'm just curious as to the preferences here.

PS - No fly system, everything's deadhung, so whatever I set will probably stay for quite a while.

I would set the trims just low enough to mask the electrics and anything else that needed to be masked and not worry about keeping everything perfectly in line.

It really boils down to what your LD needs. In the past, I have trimmed the borders straight, however, I have seen the upstage cheated out a bit to get a DS shot if needed. If you trimmed to the rake, the 1st border is going to do its job and the rest of the borders are just going to be masked.

Do what you have to do to make the lighting work for your stage. As far as looks, I would use the same height from the floor. Either is fine and using the same height probably would be good for both lighting and look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back