Curved RP Screen Ground Support

TupeloTechie

I'm trying to figure out a way to hang a curved cyc that will be used for rear projection. The trick is, it has to be supported from the ground, and I must also be able to hang a black bobinette no less than 6" from the cyc. My first instinct would be to rent 3 truss curves, link them together and stick an L-16 on each side. The screen is only 15' high, so that solves the height issue, and I could hang the cyc on the rear of the truss and the bobinette on the front. However, I'm a little afraid of stability issues. Even though the cyc and bobinette don't really weigh much at all, it seams like I should be using a third stand in the middle. Problem is, I can't because of RP. I've attached a quick drawing of what I'm trying to do. Can anyone give me some pointers or better ideas. I'm open to anything.
Thanks! Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 11.07.55 PM.png

What about having two straight sticks of truss across and hanging the curved truss from that?

You've got a pretty specific design here, and it sounds like you know you're going to rent it. So I would call a few rental houses and see if they have anything that works for you. They're business is making things like this happen with they're inventory so they will be your best bet here I would think.

What about having two straight sticks of truss across and hanging the curved truss from that?
This. Brilliant idea, MarshallPope. :clap:

The only other way I can think of would be to complete the circle and use (at least) two more stands.

An excellent idea, but couldn't you just use a single straight centered over the curve. Best done if you have the extra height so you could bridle from the straight to the curve. Of course the other option is two straight trusses and a curved track instead of curved truss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back