Custom Snake

Jeez - this almost violates the spirit of a marching band for me (almost)... But, in the late 70's, the H.S. band I marched with rolled big pleated-vinyl Kustom towers onto the field so our Stage Band could play Birdland during the show, so I guess I can't complain too much...
I just don't see the need for micing a marching band. You should be judged by your band, not your sound man.

I just don't see the need for micing a marching band. You should be judged by your band, not your sound man.

You'd be shocked. Most big school marching bands have better technology then their theaters. I've seen schools roll up with 40 of the Shure UHF-R pro wireless mics (their whole pit was mic'd up wirelessly, as well as solos and other insruments throughout the field), complete with paddle antennas and distros. All hooked up to a digital board, routed over a wireless network to laptop/iPad in the stands. It's a whole new ball game....

Of course, with these big name high schools being sponsored by Yahmaha, Shure, etc, it's not so hard to believe they have this money...

Just like everything else in today's society, if technology can improve it, then use it. It allows for greater flexibility. You want to put the pit in the back of the field instead of traditionally in the front, you can do it now. You want your little flute solo to be heard over the blaring brass, you can do it. If you have a band with 30 trumpets and 10 clarinets, mic up a few clarinets to get that woodwind feature heard.

It gives the directors and artistic designers more freedom and flexibility. Gone are the days of traditional marching band, only a few colleges and drum corps do that now. And don't even get me started on the over use of props on the fields....

Tarpon Springs 2010 at BOA Grand Nationals
YouTube - 2010 Tarpon Springs HS Band - "Paranormal"
Watch this show... it's a full production, complete with hydraulic bed that lifts a member about ten feet off the ground. (around the 7:15 mark)

Words cannot explain it, you just have to watch. This is the types of bands that get into the grand nationals finals.

Lincoln-Way East at 2009 State Competition
YouTube - Lincoln-Way East ISU Finals 2009
Pit on a rolling stage in the middle of their field. Every pit instrument mic'd. Speakers located under the stage on each side. All ran off of batteries and inverters.

The honor of being the Sousaphone to dot the "i" seems so quaint in comparison.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back