Design "cyc" lighting advice

For an upcoming production I would like to treat the back wall of our set as a cyc and would appreciate some advice on how best to light it. First off, since we are a homeless community theatre, the stage/set/lighting/sounds are all temporary. The stage will be 8’ deep by 24’ wide by 6” tall and the back wall of the set is 8’ tall by 24’ wide. Front light is provided by 6 ellipsoidals which are ~30’ back from the front of the stage about 10’ high (not ideal lighting by any means but the best I can do at this location with lighting stands). I don’t have any cyc or border lights, or any LED’s for that matter. I do have a few fresnels of different sizes and 2 S4 Pars. Control is done by DMX dongle, Enttec Lightfactory software, and shoebox dimmer packs.

My concerns/issues are:

- With the front light at such a low angle, I’m probably going to need a lot of punch out of whatever fixtures I use to light the wall.
- I would prefer to light from the bottom. I could light from the top but it would have to cantilever out from the flats and probably wouldn’t work too well being so close (and I don’t trust our set builder)
- Probably less than $500 for a budget.

I’ve looked at some LED bar lights similar to the American DJ Mega Bar which I think would be nice, but again I’m afraid the output wouldn’t be enough. And since they are only 40” long, would I need 6 of them? Advantages would be less power required and no need to use my dimmer packs.

My other thought is border or strip lights. I’d either have to find used fixtures or possibly go some sort of DIY route. I should have enough dimmer channels to control the 3 or 4 circuits needed depending on wattage. Also would need some help determining how far away to place said fixtures.

I’d appreciate some thoughts on this.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back