d&b Install Advice

Hello,

I am getting a d&b system installed and I have decided on my tops but I'm torn between the subs I should get and need some advice. Should I get two B2 subs and put them one on each side of the stage or should I get 4 QSubs and spread them out in front of the stage? I have heard both and love them both. But I'm not sure how much thump and throw I will loose using the QSub. Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Ben

Have you asked D&B's engineering department for their advice?

You can model bass frequencies in ArrayCalc - though due to room modes and reflections the response indoors will be difficult to predict. Neither of the subwoofer layouts you have described will give you the maximum output and even coverage in the audience. A B2 on each side will give you a big power alley down the middle of the room. Spread out Q subs will start crating lobes and nulls at different frequencies the farther apart they get. You do see subs spaced out to create arrays with forward directivity, but playing around with ArrayCalc for a few minutes makes me think that you need more than four subs to get reasonable arrays using that method. Clustered subs in the center would couple to give you more output and get you more even sound throughout the venue. If your goal is to create a cardioid bass array (which D&B is all about), you would need either more subs so you can turn every third sub backwards or you would need to buy Y subs or J subs with the built in cardioid function.

Give D&B a call and ask. They'll set you up right for what you want. They are very nice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back