d&b r60 networking

Simple question: I've got an r60 on the road with me and an airport. I know the airport's have a usb slot I've used to connect with non wireless printers. Can the r60 handle that or does it have to go directly into the control computer?

Control computer - you can use the airport to VNC into your control machine though.

Apple locks down their routers and makes the USB available only to printers via Bonjour. Other manufacturers open it up to Hard drives too -- but the R60 is a special case as it is converting Serial to CAN.

However, an R70 will work right into a LAN port on the Airport (theoretically)! Your shop may have them.

Control computer - you can use the airport to VNC into your control machine though.

Apple locks down their routers and makes the USB available only to printers via Bonjour. Other manufacturers open it up to Hard drives too -- but the R60 is a special case as it is converting Serial to CAN.

However, an R70 will work right into a LAN port on the Airport (theoretically)! Your shop may have them.

I was set up with a control computer and used the laptop to VNC in. Sadly the control computer took a huge hit in transit and the HD seized up. Thankfully the VNC computer had back-ups of everything so I was able to hard line it. I figured apple locked things down but I was hoping. I would love an r70 but currently in South American my shop cant get me a replacement.

Thanks for the confirmation of my fear.

It's not so much an apple thing, but how those gateways work - it's much easier to throw a handful of generic drivers onto your WAP that you know will work for a handful of things (ie Printer, Hard drive), than throw every driver in the world on so they can act as a USB host for a wide variety of peripherals. Apple has chosen the safer route that raises fewer tech support hurdles for their consumer base.

Not sure what your rig is carrying, but if you have a QLab B/U, download a copy of R1 for Mac and use the B/U as the new control computer. You can get WWB or WSM on there too so you're not running totally blind. Plus, those programs don't use up much RAM so the integrity of your B/U is still good. Tour teaches you to get creative!

It's not so much an apple thing, but how those gateways work - it's much easier to throw a handful of generic drivers onto your WAP that you know will work for a handful of things (ie Printer, Hard drive), than throw every driver in the world on so they can act as a USB host for a wide variety of peripherals. Apple has chosen the safer route that raises fewer tech support hurdles for their consumer base.

Not sure what your rig is carrying, but if you have a QLab B/U, download a copy of R1 for Mac and use the B/U as the new control computer. You can get WWB or WSM on there too so you're not running totally blind. Plus, those programs don't use up much RAM so the integrity of your B/U is still good. Tour teaches you to get creative!

Yeah that makes much more since. Too bad you can't add drivers.

That was the first thing I tried (using my qlab B/U) but the amp's firmware is so far outta date I have to use R1v1 and I can't find the older download on the d&b site. I would love to update them all but were currently in a show and I don't want them all going back to factory settings.

This may not do exactly what you want -- but in a pinch the older R10 software may do what you need. It's what the shops use to batch service and update the amps. It doesn't have a fancy show-time overview like R1 has, but it will let you mute and unmute channels remotely to make your sound check a little easier.

http://yamm.in/dbaudio/www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/black-range/remote/r10/index.html

At this point the hard wired laptop is doing OK. It just means when I get around to the next venue I'll have to do a little running back and forth. It's not the end of the world and the show will go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back