The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Dance Deck Treatment

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Pie4Weebl, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

So I'm production manager of a modern dance show/performance art thing. There are going to be dancers on a piece of deck and it is currently just plywood. It is going to be outdoor so marley isn't really an option, I was thinking possible a garage floor rubberized paint sort of thing for the deck, but I am open to other options. Also I have a raked deck that will have video projected onto it and I need a paint treatment for that which is both suitable for dancers and create a nice projection surface. Any suggestions for either?

2. joeboo46

joeboo46 Member

I would suggest a semi-gloss latex closest thing you're gonna get to a dancable surface . . . Still not marley. As far as the projection surface the do make paints that are specifically for projecting on (not sure on range of colors) but i used the base white for a wall application once and it truly does make a pretty decent projection surface.

Link to one brand I dont remember the brand I used:
    Paint on Screen - Projector Screen Paint

3. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Active Member

I think the projection specific paints are designed to convert a wall to a projection screen, they have particles of some shiny stuff or something of that matter, NOT for dancing.

(Although, this is coming from a home theater enthusiast perspective, and not a spage supplier perspective.)

4. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

But the hang up is, if I use a semi gloss, it will reflect more of the projection, when I want the light diffracted on the surface. Perhaps I could mix some sand in with the paint...

5. ReiRei

ReiRei Active Member

How is marley not an option? When I worked at the Green Show, at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, we laid marley on our outdoor stage when we had dancers. Just secure a tarp over it for the night and it should work. How long is this "modern show/performance art thing" running?