Demand for Soundcraft MH3 48

Hello all,

My company recently updated our sound desk and I'm looking to sell our old one, a Soundcraft MH3 48ch. I've seen a lot of them for sale on different used equipment websites but I'm wondering what the actual demand for this item might be. We're not looking to make back a ton of money on it, just like to get rid of it and off set some of the costs of replacing some other equipment.

Thanks!

The MH3 is a hell of a board.

A theater I worked in bought one new in 2005 for $15,000 but after the M7 came out I've see a used 40 channel go for as low as $3800.

The general trend of the industry is, by far, leaning toward digital boards. With all of the mid level boards like the M7CL, Venue SC48, et al, the market for analogue boards is diminishing quickly. That means the used market is saturated with analogue boards a low prices.

~Dave

The MH3 is one of my top favorite analog consoles. But as others have said, it's really hard to sell an analog console these days. You're probably not going to get anywhere close to what you'd like for it, but it's just going to take up space, collect dust, and depreciate, so you might as well get rid of it now for whatever you can get.

You've probably gotten a pretty good idea of at least what people are asking from the information you've seen. There are currently several MH3 and MH3-48 ads on soundbroker.com and the prices being asked on are interesting as some people seem to be asking almost full original price, around $24k to $30k depending on the options included such as meter bridge, spare power supply, road case and so on. At the other end of the spectrum there are a couple used MH3-48s in "superb" condition listed for $7k to $8k and also a couple in between those extremes.

The description for one soundbroker.com ad that is essentially asking for full original price claims that mixer has been in use for 18 months in a church and "...still has manufacturer's warranty", which is interesting since according the the MH3 manual the warranty is 12 months and not transferable. I get the impression that ad may be someone who wants a new mixing console but to do that has to cover the entire cost of the new console from the sale of the existing mixer. And that may apply to others as well where the price being asked represents what they need or want to get in order for it to make sense for them to part with their MH3 rather than what is actually a fair value for it.

Other than a few 'classic' consoles that show up on many tech riders, as already stated, most large format analog consoles have seen a pretty big drop in value due to digital consoles. The multiple use FOH/monitor format of the MH3 gives it a potentially larger audience and while you probably won't find many tech riders asking for an MH3, you'll probably also find few people refusing it. The snapshot automation is a plus for some applications but is nowhere near the scene recall of modern digital consoles. In general, the console likely has more value for someone looking to directly replace or upgrade an existing large format analog console than it does for someone looking to expand capabilities or for a new system and that means an increasingly smaller market.

I have a monitor desk that currently has some bugs in it that I think we worked out. I'll know by end of next month if we are going to keep or ditch it. Is a case included?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back