Automated Fixtures Designspot575e on ETC Express 24/48- having control issues

mcdork

I've got a Elation Designspot575 and I'm running into a weird control issue.

Here's the setup:
Designspot575 is addressed starting at DMX address 001, connected directly to the console's first DMX out. The console is currently set for 48 dimmers and the dimmers are mapped 1/1 to the submasters. No personality is loaded because one doesn't seem to exist for this fixture on this console.

Here's what happens:
Submaster 1 should be Pan control according to the manual (linked below, page 35) but when the slider is run up the fixture goes into some kind of pre-programmed scene with changing colors and positions every 4 seconds. These are not random, the same set of actions take place for any given position of the slider (unfortunately none of them are useful for the show). Submaster 3 controls Tilt directly, but is overridden by the actions in submaster 1 (This is the only channel that works correctly). Submaster 12 controls Pan, but again is overridden by 1.

What I've tried:
Resetting the fixture to factory defaults in order to clear stored programs. There doesn't seem to be an actual menu option for this though (The manual lies.)
Having a terminator or not makes no difference. The cable run is only 15 feet so this shouldn't be an issue.
Setting the fixture to Master/Alone makes no difference.
Resetting all motors makes no difference.
Manual control from the fixture works fine.

Designspot 575 manual:
http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/design-spot-575e.pdf
This seems to have some missing content (see page 30) and also repeatedly mentions the Power Spot 700CMY, so I can't consider it a reliable source.

Since I can't get another console (not in the budget) does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I've run moving lights from an Express or Expression before (Technobeams, Studio Colors, etc) but this just isn't working and I can't figure out why.

There are probably other things I've tried that aren't occurring to me at the moment.

Any suggestions?

...Here's what happens:
Submaster 1 should be Pan control according to the manual (linked below, page 35) but when the slider is run up the fixture goes into some kind of pre-programmed scene with changing colors and positions every 4 seconds. These are not random, the same set of actions take place for any given position of the slider (unfortunately none of them are useful for the show). Submaster 3 controls Tilt directly, but is overridden by the actions in submaster 1 (This is the only channel that works correctly). Submaster 12 controls Pan, but again is overridden by 1. ...
It sounds like something in Submaster 1 is triggering the fixture's DMX channel 24 internal macro's.

Here's the setup:
Designspot575 is addressed starting at DMX address 001, connected directly to the console's first DMX out. The console is currently set for 48 dimmers and the dimmers are mapped 1/1 to the submasters. No personality is loaded because one doesn't seem to exist for this fixture on this console. ...
I think you've missed a step. Dimmers cannot be assigned directly to a submaster, they must be patched to Channels first. Check the patch screen and insure that Channel 1=Dimmer 1, Channel 2=Dimmer 2, etc. Then check the Submaster screen and verify that Sub 1=Channel 1, Sub 2 =Channel 2, etc.

No personality is loaded because one doesn't seem to exist for this fixture on this console.
The console comes with limited personalities, only a few of the lights that were available in 1998. If you can't find a library file for download at ETC Products - Moving Light Personalities (Downloads tab), it's not difficult to write your own personality file using the Fixture Personality Creator. The collaborative article Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion) - ControlBooth contains a link. ETC service personnel have also written personalities for our members on request, perhaps someone will see this <hint>.

I think you've missed a step. Dimmers cannot be assigned directly to a submaster, they must be patched to Channels first. Check the patch screen and insure that Channel 1=Dimmer 1, Channel 2=Dimmer 2, etc. Then check the Submaster screen and verify that Sub 1=Channel 1, Sub 2 =Channel 2, etc.

I'll double-check that, but that's how it should be (730AM and lack of coffee makes me use terms incorrectly). The puzzling part is why sub1 is running the channel 24 macros and why nothing at all responds on most of the other ones.

I just finished making a personality, now I need to find a computer with a functional floppy drive around here somewhere and I'll try it tonight.

Have you checked your Output Configuration to make sure that DMX Output 1 is starting at 1? That's one way that the channels may not line up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back