Mixers/Consoles Digital console for theatre

soundmsam

We are looking for a new digital console for our theatre, and I was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions. We have 16 wireless sennheiser body packs that we are looking to run through it. We are on a pretty tight and small budget. We were looking at the new Presonus console, due to its fat channel. We don't necessarily need a console with automated faders. Any suggestions would be great.

Sam

We don't necessarily need a console with automated faders.

Then you should get an analog console. I see the main benefit of a digital mixer in theater is to save the scenes for recall. I've been told that the Personus has a bank of lights next to each fader that will save levels, but that isn't much of an improvement from writing down all the settings, and with 16 mics, that can get pretty nasty.

How small is a small budget?

We mainly want a digital to keep from having to buy 16 compressors cause the actors and singers that we bring in are way too heavy.... We are currently running Candide with 12 Mics, and all of them have compression and delay on them.

Sam

You can pick up an LS9-16 for $4,200 if you shop around. Going digital is the way to go for theatre. You get much more then just flying faders... you get great EQ's, built in compressors/limiters/effects.

As long as you're OK with line level only inputs for the last 4 channels of onboard input, you can get an 01V96VCM for a decent price, or a used 01v96V2 for even less. That will give you 16 channels of analog input onboard, expandable to more inputs with the input card.

If you can afford it, go for an LS9-16, but in a pinch the 01V96 will do what you need for just 16 inputs.

I just rented the yamaha DM2000. Once I learned the routing and remember to turn ON all of my AUx's, so far it is a great board. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued in the US. I'll try to post a pic this weeked.

24 Analog inputs, expandable. Multiple outs (analog. digital AES / EBU, the list goes on).

I just rented the yamaha DM2000. Once I learned the routing and remember to turn ON all of my AUx's, so far it is a great board. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued in the US. I'll try to post a pic this weeked.

24 Analog inputs, expandable. Multiple outs (analog. digital AES / EBU, the list goes on).

The DM1K is still out there and is a very solid console in a very tight format. It has a little better build quality then the LS9. 02R's are still out there on the used market and are also great consoles.

There are all sorts of consoles out there, the question is what do you need or want? Are the 16 wireless the only sources? What are you looking for as far as aux sends, DCAs, Groups, matrix sends, L/C/R mixing, aux sends on faders functionality, etc.?

Why do you feel that you have to run compression on every mic and what specifically do you mean when you say the actors are "way too heavy"? Would a diet help? ;)

Seriously, I sometimes wonder why I bother designing systems for high headroom anymore when there is an increasing trend to compress everything to where there are limited dynamics in the signals.

The StudioLive is a nice console for bands and such, but the lack of flying faders eliminates if from contention for use as a theatrical console (of course I'd still take it over a comparably sized analog console).

The O1V/96 would be a much better choice for your uses. You should have no troubles using the last 4 channels with your wireless. Although you'll need a Behringer 8000 if you want to expand the console to be able to play tracks, sound effects, etc.

I prefer the LS9, but I question whether it would be worth the additional expense for your venue. (However I'm not familiar with the use of scene save, scene recall, and recall safe-ing on the O1V/96, so I could be wrong - BUT: I do know that the O1V/96 is limited to 99 scenes, would would not have got us through the first production on which we used our LS9.)

I'd get at least a 24 channel console if you go analog or with the StudioLive.

I've seen a couple of LS9-32s sell for under $6000 including case (which you could sell off), which would be the way to go if you can find one and can afford it.

If you're going to spend $2k on a digital console, I think most people would steer you towards the Yamaha 01v96. The Presonus console may be nice and the multi-track recording I/O feature seems useful if you are setting up a recording studio, but Yamaha has the long-lived reputation for excellence and reliability in the live theater world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back