Control/Dimming Dimmer Packs For a Community Theater

mein5318

Hey I've been put in charge of upgrading the lighting in a local community theater. Due to Funds I'm trying to do this as cost effectively as possible. I'm amazed but we've managed to keep an 18 channel annalog system running for all this time. We had a pretty big scare with it over the weekend and I've been given the go ahead to start an upgrade. My budget is $4500. We got our hands on a used Producer3 so I'm tyring to find something that could be upgraded as time goes by. I want to do an initial upgrade to 24 channels. phase 2 would be to upgrade the electric to 36/48 channels and then phase 3 would be add more dimmer pack(s). I really liked the pricing of Pro Pack 12- 2000w 20A 120V Dimmers $1799. But I just found out Strand needs to come out and inspect the install at $2500. I want to build a rack to keep people moving plugs and messing with the set-up.

Hey I've been put in charge of upgrading the lighting in a local community theater. Due to Funds I'm trying to do this as cost effectively as possible. I'm amazed but we've managed to keep an 18 channel annalog system running for all this time. We had a pretty big scare with it over the weekend and I've been given the go ahead to start an upgrade. My budget is $4500. We got our hands on a used Producer3 so I'm tyring to find something that could be upgraded as time goes by. I want to do an initial upgrade to 24 channels. phase 2 would be to upgrade the electric to 36/48 channels and then phase 3 would be add more dimmer pack(s). I really liked the pricing of Pro Pack 12- 2000w 20A 120V Dimmers $1799. But I just found out Strand needs to come out and inspect the install at $2500. I want to build a rack to keep people moving plugs and messing with the set-up.

B and H has it for $1699. Why does Strand need to inspect it? I couldn't find anything in the manuals about needing an inspection. All you should need is an electrician to wire the main power.

I would suggest thinking about moving to distributed dimming. Get the power and DMX run out to the lighting positions and hang portable dimmer bar/packs.

You can add to such a system very easily. You generally get better control by having more smaller dimmers. You are ready for LEDs when the come into your price range (don't hold your breath.) You might even find it's cheaper!

I back up RickR's idea. I like the Leviton D4DMX's they are a smaller 4 channel dimmer that will cost around 160 each, less if you are lucky to find one on ebay. They can handle 2400 watts over the whole dimmer and 1200 watts per channel. Then it is just a matter of running power out to each one and daisy chaining the dmx through them all. THere is a theatre here in Boston that does all of their lighting off of these things.

I would agree with jgels and RickR. you should take a look at distributed dimming. It gives you great flexibility. personally i like the small 4 channel dimmer packs, as they are easy to find the power for. The High power packs need two circuits. your biggest cost would be getting an electrician to install power to your lighting positions.

I must be in the minority here. I hate distributed dimming. I love the idea of it, but when it comes to implementation it just seems to turn in to a mess of extensions running everywhere. At least that's what I see with 4-packs. The Bakpak type dimmers are pretty cool.

Of course, when you're on a budget or plan to one day phase dimmers out entirely, distributed dimming is a good way to go. It's just hard to keep it tidy.

Which part of the analog system gave the scare? The console, or the dimmers? If its the console that's dying, it might be cheaper to replace it and get a D/A unit to drive your dimmers rather than need to replace both the console and the dimmers now.

Last edited:
The community theater I have been working with is an 80 seat black box. I want to say they run 6 distributed dimmers which has worked quite well for them (All lighting is FOH except for two LEDs used for back-light/ cyc lighting.) I just left a school that used and etc element to control analog dimmers, the only problem what that the dimmer packs were starting to go.

Personally, I would side with those saying to look at distributed dimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back