Dimmer rack output panel

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
This is an old dimmer rack I've recently encountered. How many dimmers does the rack have? What is the capacity of each dimmer? What is the purpose of the red switches?
Connector1of1-6.jpg

Who made the rack and when (approximately)?

it has 6 dimmers, capacity is (i'm guessing here) 15A at 120V, and the red switches are for turning off specific receptacles so if you have more stuff plugged in you don't have more lights than what you wanted on.

As far as make and year, NO idea

As DuckJordan said, it's a 6 dimmer panel.

Capacity, however, is likely higher than 15A per dimmer. Each dimmer has 4 stage pin (2P+G if you prefer).

The red switches are actually circuit breaker handles for each receptacle I'd guess. Circuit breaker rating can't be seen (as far as I can tell), but those stage pin receptacles are rated for 20A, so I'd guess 20A circuit breakers.

For dimmer capacity, I'd guess somewhere between 6k and 10k, but it's impossible to be specific without more info.

Make and year - no clue.

Edit: My 6 dimmer conclusion is purely based on the tape numbers. I suppose they could refer to something other than dimmer numbers, in which case my answer would be different.

Last edited:
I am going to say it has 24 channels. Having multiple output connectors, each with its own breaker, for a single physical dimmer channel, makes no sense to me. If you wanted more than one light on a channel, you would use a two-fer. If you wanted multiple channels dimming together, patch them together.
The red switches look like thermal circuit breakers. They are overcurrent circuit protection devices.
I agree with the 2.4K (120VAC) output.
Manufacturer and year, no clue, except that it looks like an old analog dimmer I found last summer, which was made by Applied Electronics, probably in the 1980's.

I am going to say it has 24 channels. Having multiple output connectors, each with its own breaker, for a single physical dimmer channel, makes no sense to me. If you wanted more than one light on a channel, you would use a two-fer. If you wanted multiple channels dimming together, patch them together.

What if the dimmers have more than 2.4k capacity? You have to protect the 20A connector and subsequent cable. When I was in college, the main stage had (60) 12k dimmers with an old Kliegl patch panel. Each dimmer had 10 single-pole sockets. You would pull the retractable lead (the hot lead for the circuit to be patched) from the overhead panel and patch it to the appropriate dimmer. Each overhead lead had it's own circuit breaker. Each dimmer could have 10 circuits patched to it.

Almost certainly a higher capacity dimmer, hence the breaker on each 20 amp output
connector. If memory serves, it was in the late seventies/early eighties, when big dimmers went portable
that manufactures began paying attention to this. Another common config was to have one 60 amp connector and four 20 amps on each dimmerr. If you want to know who made it show us some other views......

My apologies to all. Didn't notice that this was a "Question of the Day". I'll butt out now (or at least until next week).

My honest guess has already been thrown out, and those red switches certainly look like circuit breakers, but I'd like to throw out the possibility they are also three-way "patching" switches like on a Junior 8. Thrown up, the circuit is full on, on the middle pole the circuit is on the dimmer, and thrown down the circuit is off.

To me, it looks like 12 30A circuits. I had something similar looking to that style rack in a light lab in grad school so that is what I am basing it off of. But there does appear to be a clusters of two 20A Stagepin receptacles, with a small gap, and another cluster. I can't zoom in enough on this old computer monitor to see the breakers but if that is correct, and Steve's comment leads me to believe that I'm on the right track, those are meant to ensure that you don't go over the 20A on each connector. Even though the entire dimmer is rated for 30A, each plug is only 20A so it is sort of a built in safety check.

What are the ~1.5"x1.5" square bumps under the gaffers tape? Why is "51 C" ON (or off, depending on how it's mounted)?

C'mon, show us the other side!

What are the ~1.5"x1.5" square bumps under the gaffers tape? Why is "51 C" ON (or off, depending on how it's mounted)?

C'mon, show us the other side!

My personal bet is those squares would be the manufacturers " Rack # " as opposed to the "system # " shown us in the ever popular
black gaffers tape........

Last edited:
Could they be single Edison outlets for testing the circuit at the rack with a clip light or the like? Possibly taped off because they're not connected any more due to rack modifications.

Getting a little anxious for an explanation here...

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk.

Not to poke the bear too much here, but you are the OP.
I wondered how long and who would be the first to catch that. I posted the original picture for a member who wishes to remain anonymous.

How many dimmers does the rack have?

What is the capacity of each dimmer?
6000W. We would have no way of knowing that if Footer hadn't told us. It is safe to assume that it's larger than 2.4kW and 3.6Kw, and less than 10K.

What is the purpose of the red switches?
As said above, the red switches are OPD s to protect wiring attached to the 20A-2P&G receptacle s.

Who made the rack and when (approximately)?
Mr. Terry will likely know conclusively, but I'm betting: Lighting Methods Inc., circa 1982.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back