Dimmer service/testing question - Colortran iSeries

Sayen

Hey all,

I have a Colortran i series dimmer that I pulled because it wasn't working, or was working intermittently. Looking at it, one of the leads from the breaker is blackened. Sooo....

Any idea why that would happen?

Any way I can test easily to see if the rest of the dimmer works, and only the breaker is bad?

Breaker could be bad, but can also be caused it the screw was not tight or the crimp (if used) was no good. As with lamp sockets, replace the breaker, lead wire, and crimp (if used.)

What John said, except that the lead wire could be blackened on either the breaker end or at SSR module. Replace whichever device was closest to the damage on the wire.

You might want to make sure that the screws are tight on other breakers as well. I found a few loose screws on our dimmers last time I had our iSeries dimmers out for cleaning. Of course, remember LOTO too.

Screw was loose...wish I'd caught this back when we were under warranty. Seems to be a common electrical issue with cheap sub contractors - going through the same issue with my home AC company.

Second unit was also bad, but no charring or visible damage, screws are tight. Is there any way to test these (continuity I should check for? cartridge I can blow in?) on my own? Outside of the rack, that is. I did swap a few packs around to verify that it is the dimmer, and not the circuit or instrument.

Whenever I had a pack apart on the bench, I always pushed on the crimps (side to side) to see if they would slip around. On some brands, you do not have easy access to the screw heads so that is an easy way to see if there is a sleeping problem. When screws are exposed, it's a good idea just to check for tightness. Only takes a minute if the pack is open.

Are Iseries dimmers still in use? I don't usually handle lighting gear, but I fell into a quantity of 2.4kW dimmer modules ... scrap metal or useable parts? thanks!

iSeries dimmers are certainly still in use, and still being installed. Link to Leviton page. gadgetguy, if you have no use for them, you might try selling them via one of the avenues at Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth . Once you have the requisite number of posts, you could list them in our Classified Ads area. Until then, readers can contact you if they happen upon this thread, just as you did.

Given that both you and Sayen are in Phoenix it might be worth PMing him to see if he wants to buy them. Especially if you are considering scrapping them I would imagine someone that owns the racks would pay more than the scrap yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back