Dimming issues

PACPTech

Hi everyone! I'm hoping I could get some thoughts on a minor issue I'm having. We have two Liteputer dx1220 packs that are currently being controlled by an Entec ODE mk2 and Luminaire software. Everything seems to work fine except that sometimes the dimming isn't smooth. Even with standard lamps, it kind of increases and decreases intensity in "steps". Any ideas on what might be causing this?

First thing to check is that the computer isn't busy doing something else. Make sure all other processes are shut down. Even Anti-Virus software can be so bloated as to cause problems. If the computer is not allocating enough of it's time to the lighting software, it may not be able to provide the stream of numbers needed for a smooth dim.

Luminair is an iOS app, right? You may just be seeing the inherent limitations of trying to send DMX levels over a Wi-Fi connection. There's always going to be a tendency for data packets to arrive with varying delays and not necessarily in the right order. It's really not well suited to something as timing-critical as DMX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back