The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

DMX Control Software

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Will Blair, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Will Blair

Will Blair Member

Our theatre is recently updating a very outdated lighting system. We have upgraded to all new portable dimmer packs with DMX control capabilities. We bought the Chauvet Xpress 512 to utilize as a DMX interface with our computer. When I downloaded ShowXpress however, it doesn't seem to be made to use in a "theatre" type setting. Am I missing something? Or is there another software that works with this interface? Or...is there another interface I should get instead of the Xpress 512? Thanks!

2. dbaxter

dbaxter Well-Known Member

Not sure what drove you to get the Chauvet Xpress before you tried out the corresponding software, so there may be reasons you went that way. In hindsight, I think you would have been better off getting either an Enttec Pro or DMXKing ($79!) interface and using one of the several lighting software packages listed on their sites. You will need to look at the software to see if it is more DJ oriented than theater. There's a lot of DJ stuff out there. If you should happen to try out my Cue Player software, you will find it very much "theater" type.

3. Will Blair

Will Blair Member

Is there a link to your software and does it support the Enttec Pro?

4. Silicon_Knight

Silicon_Knight Active Member

We have been using QLC+ (www.qlcplus.org) for several years for our Church. It is free (open source), well maintained and pretty flexible. It's not as stable or high powered as some of the truly expensive show software out there, but if you're looking for theater lighting control on a budget - it's well worth a look. (There are plenty of You Tube videos that demonstrate these, as well).

5. Will Blair

Will Blair Member

What DMX interface do you use?

6. Silicon_Knight

Silicon_Knight Active Member

We use the ENTTEC USB DMX Pro v2 as the primary (and have the ENTTEC Open USB DMX as a spare). We start with the cheaper Open USB DMX, but found that it was not quite as stable, and the lack of input and only one output universe was a bit limiting.

7. dbaxter

dbaxter Well-Known Member

Yes, certainly, the Enttec is supported. The link to the software was in my signature, but here it is again: www.cueplayer.com. Thank you for your interest.