Control/Dimming DMX Control Software

IsaacB

I'm looking for a DMX control software with a two main features. I want to run the software on a PC or Mac with a USB->DMX dongle, and to be able to control lighting over the network from an iPad or other tablet when desired. Is there even any software out there to accomplish this, or is the latency simply too high for this to be possible? I don't need a ton of features, as our lighting system is only 12 tungsten fixtures on a 12-channel dimmer.
Thanks,
Isaac

Most of the major brands can do this; ETC Eos or Hog, MA Grand or Dot2, Pathway certainly and probably Strand, Chamsys and others. Costs will vary widely!

I agree the ETC Gadget & Eos Nomad with the RFR app or a third party OSC app is a great choice. Top quality gear, training and legendary tech support. If you happen to be a school or a student the edu version is a steal. Chamsys is big in churches for being really cheap or free.

Latency could get to you, but simple dropped WiFi is a bigger issue. Relying on a consumer computer brings all sorts of issues. Auto updates and reboots exist on Windows and Mac systems. Search around here some for more on all these issues.

You might look at small consoles with a network remote. ETC ColorSource and Pathway Cognito would be great.

Our Cue Player Lighting software has those features in the 64 bit version. It can use an Enttec or DMX King interface, either USB or Art-Net. Remote control can be done from anything that has a browser. Here is a link to the trial download.

3/20 edit - the link was wrong, sorry. Please try again.

Last edited:
enttech dpro will do 90% of what the ion can 200 bucks for the software, and can do graphical plot of your lights magic sheet style with visible beams
runs on their dongles dmx pro 2 universe is 200 bucks also, I think it will also run on the cheaper opendmx 69 buck dongle, single universe, but I'd get confirmation there
One of the beautiiful things here is that you can download a full working demo that does everything except actually output the dmx, But you can learn the entire system, even patch and program a show from the comfort of home before you actually buy. As to remote control, I just used a cheap android tablet and realvnc over my wireless network. The entire pdf of the documentation is easy and prbly 35 pages. Can also do command line controls with syntax similar to the ion/etc family. Can program special keys.. It's the best of all I tried and we actually ran a couple of shows on it till some money fell in our laps. Come to think of it, my profile picture is of a show that was run on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back