DMX Filters

Sounds interesting. Are any of these "other safety mechanisms" Listed or certified for safety by a third party against a recognized safety standard? Can an end-user readily locate such certifications, if they exist?

If not, caveat emptor.

ST
Your right, It probably does not exist. That's why you are the expert Steve.

To clarify, DMX ALONE would be unsafe, but DMX is used for Pyro and Motion control, but in conjunction with other safety mechanisms.

I haven't seen products using DMX for this - are you able to point us to some examples?
What I've more commonly seen is pyro or motion having timecode inputs for LTC SMPTE time code and using that as the basis of their timing.

For what it's worth the Prism flame projector from Ultratec uses DMX for control with a keyed e-stop for power. I do not know if they are listed or certified, but I have personal experience on a show that toured all over the America's with very few issues. For this application an Elation Scene Setter was used for control with one e-stop at the firing position and another one at a spotter's position that was as close as reasonable to the actual effect.
Conversations with peers have also lead me to believe that a significant portion of the effect that TSO use (both off the shelf and custom) are DMX controlled with manual power shut-off for safety.

Rosebrand, a fairly respectable supplier, sells light-duty DMX-controlled winches. Not intended for life-safety applications, but motion control nonetheless. Advisable? I dunno. Even having a curtain in an unexpected position during a scenery shift can have life-safety implications (i.e. snagging something heavier). Then again, is this less or more reliable than a human operator doing the same job?

from Rosebrand:

DMX Winches
Wahlberg Winches come in sizes from 1Kg up to a powerful 50Kg load rating. Simple to operate via DMX. This family of winches is perfect for providing fast and easy light-duty scenery automation using DMX to set position and trim points, write movement cues, or create stunning motion “choreography.” Use multiple winches to create a fully automated contour curtain, where each lift line in the drape is controlled independently and can be programmed to different looks via DMX console.
A variant of the Winch 10, the Winch 10 LX allows electrical power to be run down the lifting cable enabling you to electrify the element being hung, such as a chandelier, lighted sign, or moon box. The Wahlberg Winches are not intended for use hoisting line sets or other critical and load-bearing rigging elements.

http://www.rosebrand.com/subcategory761/dmx-winches.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back