Control/Dimming DMX IN on Strand 520i

ishboo

I am working a show with a Strand 520i, I am not that familiar with the syntax of Strand consoles and I want to use my own system (Chamsys MagicQ PC) to run the show, it only has 5-pin DMX out and the theatre is wired with strands ethernet. I want to set up the 520i to take the dmx signal from MagicQ and replicate it through to its outputs. I have done this on other board before but I can't seem to get it working on the Strand. I set up DMX4 as a DMX in but I can't get the board to pick up the signal I'm sending it. Do I need to enable some other function on the 520i to get it to start replicating the DMX signal.

You will need to patch the DMX In channels/dimmers and assign them to a submaster to control them.

From the Manual:

DMX IN has two operating modes which can be used together:
DMX In Dimmer Mode patches the incoming DMX levels to outgoing DMX via the dimmer patch. A user selectable Submaster fader can master these dimmer levels. They cannot be recorded and are not visible on the LIVE screen. [first 512 dimmers only].
Channel Mode uses the incoming DMX levels as the contents of a user selectable Submaster. A user selectable Submaster fader can master these channel levels. The levels are visible on the LIVE screen when they are active and are recordable. [max. 512 channels]

Setting Up DMX In Submasters
Set the DMX field in the Console Setup Screen to DMX IN. Note: Only the last available DMX connector can optionally input 512 signals if it is not outputting
signals.
Select the SUBMASTER screen by pressing the screen key. Set the Submaster Function to DMX DIMR or DMX CHAN as follows:
1. Use the trackball to move to the Function field of the Submaster to change. 2. Use the wheel or the [+] or [-] keys to change it to DMX DIMR or DMX CHAN.
The Submaster window of the LIVE screen indicates DMX In Submasters by a C (DMX Channel) or D (DMX Dimmer). No channel levels need be entered for DMX IN Submasters.

To patch DMX IN Dimmers go to the PATCH screen by pressing the [PATCH] screen key.
DMX IN Dimmers are identified on the display by a trailing D (e.g. 1D, 2D, 50D) and are displayed in magenta.
To change the default use one of the following commands:
sel [@] [+] # [*]
This patches the output to the DMX Input Channel. The default Scaling is used if this is not currently patched to a DMX Input Channel otherwise it is left unchanged.

Using DMX In Dimmers
Once you have configured a Submaster as DMX IN and set up the patch, connect your DMX source to the DMX IN port and push the Submaster fader up.
You won’t be able to see any changes in the LIVE screen, as dimmer levels are not displayed. Look at the lights being driven by your console; those patched to the external source will be controlled by it and the levels mastered by the Submaster fader.

Using DMX In Channels
Once you have selected a DMX Channel Submaster, simply connect your DMX source to the DMX IN port and push the Submaster fader up. You will see the DMX IN Channels on the LIVE screen in white. Changes in the incoming levels will be displayed on the LIVE screen and mastered by the Submaster fader.
The DMX Channel Submaster can then be used just like other Submasters, except that any channels defined in the submaster memory are ignored.

Sorry about the quote onslaught...

Forget the console.

Find a Strand node in the space. Log onto it through a web browser that is on the same network. Change one of the DMX outputs into an input. Make a M to M "turnaround". Use that the inject DMX into the system.....

OR....

Magic Q outputs shownet (strand networking protocol). Hook up your console/laptop to the shownet network and turn on one of your outputs to shownet (by default chamsys uses art-net). You should be set. Make sure you IP address is in the same network as the rest of the system. I run my chamsys system with shownet nodes and it works great. Been doing that for several years.

Thank you for your advice! I ended up finding a physical DMX512 input behind a preset board but I will try the shownet output for the next production. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back