Conventional Fixtures DMX Iris comparison

BobHealey

So about a year ago, one community venue I volunteer at got some money to purchase a pair of Source 4s and a pair of I cues to supplement their 360Q rig. We've been renting dmx irises for most shows, but recently the price to rent has doubled, making it a lot more attractive to purchase (payback is now 1 year vs 2). I was wondering if anyone had strong opinions on which ones work well in a unit that will spend most of its life pointed upwards towards an I-cue, with the iris itself underneath the yoke. There are also Wybron Forerunners on these units.

I've looked at the 3 major models on the market, and am trying to decide which one to recommend. The City Theatrical unit is the one that has been rented, and I like how it screws into the fixture instead of adding yet another safety cable. Currently leaning towards buying a pair of these.

The Rosco and Apollo offerings look like the power and data cables might interfere with how I am currently hanging the fixtures. In addition, running the undimmed power for the Roscos, while doable, is going to be rather annoying, though I do like that I can set the Rosco unit to be fully open on DMX 0. The console is an Express, so I prefer to home things like irises to full open, and color changers to clear.

I would rule out the Rosco outright. Having to run hot power and 5-pin to it is annoying when you already have 4-pin there for the IQ. Setting the iris to home to open can been fixed at the console regardless of the unit, so don't think of that as a plus.

I think I usually use the City Theatrical version. I like it. Not sure I have ever used the Apollo. Sure I have at some point. My main concern would be to just make sure that whatever unit I end up with, it is compatible with your IQ PSU so that you can easily add the unit to the daisy chain and not have to do any unnecessary work. Other than that, if you can get a demo of the Apollo unit, do that. There is not much to an iris, I would just want to compare the speed and smoothness of operation between the two. Apollo and City Theatrical are both great, reliable, customer service orientated companies so I doubt you could go wrong with either.

-Tim

I haven't met a *fast* DMX Iris yet, which is odd, as I've seen moving lights with much quicker irises.
I've never worked with a mover, but don't most of them have a significantly smaller gate than an ERS? Since the iris for the smaller gate doesn't have to move as much between maximum and minimum it would be percieved of as faster with similar absolute speed of the actual leaves of the iris.

I've been running two of these "faux followspots" in my FOH for nearly ten years now. I went with the CTI product because it was, at the time, the only game in town; no regrets however- not a lick of trouble in all this time.

I own the Apollo EZ Iris. Works great. I would certainly recommend it, and it will run on your existing 4-pin accessory power. Moves nice and smooth.

The Apollo DMX Iris is nice, and you can run it and the I-Cue off of a single 50W PSU -- in fact, you can just squeeze in a Rosco I-Cue, Apollo DMX Iris, and Apollo MXR onto one 50W PSU.

I haven't met a *fast* DMX Iris yet, which is odd, as I've seen moving lights with much quicker irises.

You shouldn't be able to run an EZ Iris, an I-Cue, and an MXR on a 50W PSU. I think your math might be a bit off, unless you meant a 75W PSU. The MXR pulls 40W, the EZ Iris pulls 13.5W, and the I-Cue pulls 17W, for a total of 70.5W. That puts you at just under 75W, but well over 50W. You might be able to run an MXR and an EZ Iris (total of 53.5W) on a 50W PSU, but you would be pushing the limit and possibly stressing it. I would recommend against it, but you might be able to get away with them all on a 50W PSU if you didn't power the units up at the same time and didn't operate more than one unit at a time. That would only work because when "idling", the units wouldn't be using full power. To me, that's just asking for trouble though.

DMX irises aren't designed to move fast. They aren't really meant to be used for an effect as you might do with a moving light, rather they are more meant to just change the beam size between cues for instance. Not that you couldn't use them for a slow iris effect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back