DMX safety for non-lights usage

Last edited by a moderator:
The upper clip I belive are some chinse made projectors, you can find them everywhere on ebay. I would be very cautions about using them.

The bottom clip I believe is a projector called 5 Master from a German company called TBF Pyrotec. Their products are used by several major SFX companies. If I remember correctly the 5 Master was used at ESC in Oslo for example.

As per your question assuming the safety is solid then I wouldn't have an issue I don't know the specific manufacture but I would probably have the td of the tour provide a demo as well as explain the procedure. As a standalone system I would want this the only fail safe but would allow use as a secondary safety

Sorry Duck,
IMHO, the entire concept of a DMX safety is invalid.
The only way to be safe using DMX controlled effects is to use a safety outside of the DMX signal.
Once again, there is no error checking in DMX, So there are many ways that a receiver can get the incorrect information.
And when there are lives at stake, There is no excuse for using DMX to control it.
This is just as bad an idea as DMX Chain hoist control.
(Sorry, this is a subject I am adamant about.)
All this being said, I don't have a problem with using DMX for cueing, as long as there are appropriate safety measures taken.
EXTERNAL to the DMX signal.

As a standalone system I would not want this to be the only fail safe, but would allow use as a secondary safety

I think that he agrees with you. I think that his statement was missing the appropriate bolded bits which I added.

I look at it this way...
The problem I am trying to overcome is a deficiency (lack of error checking) in the protocol. Since it's a protocol problem, my solution must be external to the protocol.
Were the problem that someone could accidentally bump the button and trigger something, then it would be valid to have the "safety" as something within the DMX protocol...

At least that's my take on it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back