Control/Dimming DMX software and the dongles required.

I tried out "Light Factory" for a recent summer show, since the software supports "basic" audio and video cues in addition to being a lighting program.

Basic might be a bit of an understatement. I think the sound recorder on Windows 3.11 was more stable than LightFactory- when it comes to playing back audio. That said, we have used it to control our lighting for several years now and even though we do encounter the occasional bug, it is the most adaptable and easiest to learn lighting software I've encountered. It is very easy to scale and conform to your space and the input options are near limitless. We're actually using our old Express board as a wing to provide physical handles. It will also accept MIDI so you can use any of the small form factor fader boards that are common with audio DAWs. It plays nice with QLab, so you do have an option to coordinate media playback with light cues easily through things like MSC or OSC.

For all the bugs we have dealt with, their customer support is remarkable. I've had many an email interaction with Martin over the years and they are quite receptive to feedback.

That said, the $600 price tag for a one universe dongle and software key has me thinking that I should really check out Hog 3.
I wonder if in the post-NEO era that Phillips is driving the higher prices, because there has been a noticeable climb in the past 4-5 years. One thing I absolutely recommend if you go the LightFactory route is to avoid buying any ENTTEC dongles. I had nothing but issues using them. I've had much better luck with DMXKing products. Also, it might not be a bad idea to jump to Art Net or sACN anyway, depending on your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back