DMX terminator use?

If it's at the end of the chain and there's no indication that it has an internal terminator, then yes. Will it work without the terminator? Probably. Is it a good idea to terminate? Yes.

How long is the cable between the dimmer and the light controller?

If it's at the end of the chain and there's no indication that it has an internal terminator, then yes. Will it work without the terminator? Probably. Is it a good idea to terminate? Yes.

How long is the cable between the dimmer and the light controller?
Also, are you using DMX cable, or microphone cable?

Your best bet is to try it out. If something is behaving oddly, then terminate.

In my venue I have a decent budget so I terminate all my runs just to be safe.

That said, I do some work for a community theater that runs through 6 LEDs and 6 4 channel dimmer packs over mostly microphone cable without terminating. I've yet to have a problem. YMMV

My understanding us that if you have a single device ( ie a console speaking to a single dimmer pack) a terminator is not needed. I could not tell from your post if this is your case or not.

My understanding us that if you have a single device ( ie a console speaking to a single dimmer pack) a terminator is not needed. I could not tell from your post if this is your case or not.

It's still a transmission line, whether there is one receiver or 30, so terminating is still advisable with one device, but is less likely to exhibit issues than a more loaded line...

It's a good idea. Will you have trouble without it in your application, VERY unlikely. But, for $5-$10 do you want to take that chance?

Always best practice is to terminate . Pilot friends say, " Mach 2 or standing still good procedure is good procedure".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back