DMX to AMX converter on CD80 AE dimmer

w3st0n21

Hey guys,

I might have the opportunity to finally get some DMX controlled stuff into our school this year (scrollers and portable dimmers primarily). I know that i order to do this i need a DMX-AMX converter. now my question is will a DMX-AMX converter work with a strand CD80 AE dimmer? the reason i am asking is because in my boards manual it said the board had to be programed for that dimmer so is knows which dimmers have a higher power capacity. i dont see why it shouldnt work, just wanted to make sure before i bought it.

THANKS SOOO MUCH!!

What console are you using? Some consoles could output both DMX and AMX, so depending on your console, you may not need a converter.

We have a lightboard M. It does output both but I don't think it will at the same time...I would love to be wrong though. :)

Newer models of LB/M had DMX drivers, but the earlier models were AMX only. I don't remember if the newer ones would do both simultaneously. I could understand how they wouldn't, since the driver is discrete hardware that polls a memory address and D/As the value. It connects through one common bus-and-tag-style header with one data bus and one address bus, and the AMX driver interleaves the four outputs, polling 1, then 97, blah, blah, 2, 98, .... Since the timing of DMX and AMX are so wildly different, it would be tough to seamlessly interleave both at their different timings onto the same bus-and-tag line without collisions.

In any event, you would have no problems using something like a Response converter after your LB/M. No tribble at all.

I would not recomend trying to use a AMX light board to control DMX devices. I take it your use of the word "devices" means some DMX toys like a moving head or scanner. If your light board is on AMX, and your dimmers are on AMX, then I would not want to intergrate a DMX signal into the path. You might be better off keeping your light board for the dimmers and go with a cheap DMX control for your new toys. Some computer DMX programs are really easy and with a click of a mouse you can program your scrollers to pre set colors with some buttons on a computer screen.

Your question of AMX and knowing higher wattage dimmers is correct. A 2.4K dimmer will tkae up only 1 DMX channel. But a 6K dimmer will take up 2 DMX channels, but only the 1st one will be used. Example: dimmer 1 (6K) = DMX#1, dimmer 2 (6k) = DMX#3, dimmer 3 (6k) = DMX#5, dimmer 4(2.4k) = DMX#7, dimmer 5 (2.4k) = DMX#8.
However, that is only for a DMX light board trying to talk to a AMX dimmer. I think trying to take a AMX board thru a converter to DMX, then having to have the signal then go thru another converter to put back to AMX for your dimmer is asking for a real headache.

You are better off getting a cheap DJ type DMX controller for your new toys, or go with a better brand new DMX board and go with a cheap AMX/DMX converter box like the Leviton IF 501.

Your question of AMX and knowing higher wattage dimmers is correct. A 2.4K dimmer will tkae up only 1 DMX channel. But a 6K dimmer will take up 2 DMX channels, but only the 1st one will be used. Example: dimmer 1 (6K) = DMX#1, dimmer 2 (6k) = DMX#3, dimmer 3 (6k) = DMX#5, dimmer 4(2.4k) = DMX#7, dimmer 5 (2.4k) = DMX#8.

Thats not true on more advanced dimmer systems like the ETC Sensor, Strand C21 and the CD80 Supervisor, at least from my experience. On those systems you tell the CPU what slots have 6kW+ units in them and it deals out DMX Channels accordingly in order to not waste DMX channels. I'm not sure about the smaller CD80's or the CD80 that the OP is specifically using though.

It DOES output both. And no It has 4 AMX outputs. So Amx 1 goes to dimmers and amx 2 goes converter to dmx. BUT it doesn't really matter now because it works with out it. Thanks for all of the input guys. :)

I just confirmed that it will output DMX and AMX at the same time from finding an old manual online. However, the Lightboard M's I've seen only had 4 pin XLR's on the back. Does yours have a 5 pin, or are you going to have to make a special cable?

I just confirmed that it will output DMX and AMX at the same time from finding an old manual online. However, the Lightboard M's I've seen only had 4 pin XLR's on the back. Does yours have a 5 pin, or are you going to have to make a special cable?

There are basically two generations of LB/M. The older ones were AMX only and had 4-pin XLRs. The newer ones would also do DMX and probably sported 5-pin connectors for that. If it has only 4-pin connectors, it ain't DMX512.

HELP HELP HELP!!!

I have a question relating to this old topic.
I just arrived at my new theatre to find I have a CD80 dimmer stack with analog output. But I found a CD80 with a DMX out put. Could I chain my Dimmers that are only analog to the DMX controlled dimmer and run it strictly DMX or is this going to mess things up?

Good Morning mcwillc

Your DMX pack will listen ( input ) to DMX but will not output any form of control signal. It is not a converter. It will PASS-THRU DMX to the next device that will input ( listen ) to DMX.
To drive your Analog packs you'll need a converter.

Thanks jhochb,
I was afraid of that. The theatre purchased 12 packs to go in two different theatres and I was trying to find a loop hole to avoid spending a small fortune on converters

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back