Do I need a DI?

AlexD

I am having a bit of a dilemma, this is the back story. We are doing a show of Joseph witch has synths in the pit band, now all the xlr channels are being used up with mics for pit band and on stage so I am having to take the ¼ inch jack out put of the synths and putting them though the jack section of our multicore. I am not sure if I should DI them or if I should just use the line input on the mono channels on the desk, it would mean hiring in some DI boxes to do this so that is why I am asking.

So basically do I need to DI the synths or would it be be fine to just use line inputs.

It depends if the synth output is balanced or not. If it is, then you should be fine.

If not, I would recommend a DI.

If the entire run of cable from the snake head to the console is less than 30ft., you might be okay. BUT, assuming it's longer than that, you will want and need a DI. I recommend renting some Radial Pro series boxes and use them where necessary. Don't worry about a "Stereo DI", just use mono ones - you can always split them up for use elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back