Do you make or buy DMX cables?

Do you make or buy DMX cables?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permanent install= I make the cables (don't forget the service loop).

For things that might be temporary or can get moved around, we just buy the cable.

It also depends on the length and the quantity of cables needed. I didn't vote because I need an option for both. I don't think that there is a set answer. Depends on your situation.

I would prefer to make cable by way of my specifications but never have time. Instead I specify and inspect what cable I farm out. Years ago all was built by me.

There is great quality stuff that comes out of china.

But I agree that if you get the absolute cheapest (wherever it is made) lots of corners will have been cut.

Cables need to be made to a standard appropriate for their intended use. If they are going on the road and being torn down and moved to a different city every two days, then something exceptionally hardy is probably needed.

In a less demanding application, that same "milspec DMX" cable is an overinvestment. Time and money spent in one place is not available in another. If you need 100 cables then only having 10 cables (10 really awesome ones!) doesn't get the job done.

We end up buying everything premade. I did a number crunch a while back on what the cost would be to have our IA guys make the cables, even with a markup premade comes out cheaper in the long run.

Personally, I enjoy making cables. Only when it applies. To get that perfect rack set right. If it's for a standard application you can't go wrong with Neutrik!

For me, ordering stuff is a complicated mess, so I'd rather order a spool of cable and a big mixed bag of connectors and make them as I need them.

Our college has first year students make cables in the electrical labs.

They get cables, we get taught how to make them. (Bad cables are rejected)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back