doing a 50s set comedy, a few needs...

We are doing a 1950s comedy and I need the following (period accuracy is of the utmost importance, this is a TINY theater, 40 seats, so we can't exactly fool the audience):

I have a camera but it needs to make a flash. Is there a handheld flash option? The actor must control the flash.

I need a champagne bottle opened on stage. I'm not looking for the mess, I'm looking for the pop.

Thanks for any help you can give!

For the flash, you can scavenge the flash module out of a disposable film camera, or you can even buy the bare module from dealers like All Electronics.

Just be very careful, as camera flashes can pack a high voltage wallop--unlikely to kill you due to a limited amount of power and difficulty in getting current to flow through a dangerous intra-body path, but will hurt like heck if they bite ya.

As a safer if bulkier option, you can get external flash modules meant to accompany SLR cameras that can be rigged to trigger with a button press. You can find some very cheap flashes around the interwebs that will likely do the trick.

me and my friend dressed up like men in black for a school dress up day and made the "nerolizers" we just took the flash mods out of a disposable camera added two button switches and a "AA" battery holder. it works like clock work. you press our black button to charge the capacitor, and then the red button to discharge to the flash. just be careful with the capacitor it does hurt like hell when you get shocked by it.... also makes a really fun prank to pull on room mates lol (door knob with two wires and the capacitor).

Last edited by a moderator:
me and my friend dressed up like men in black for a school dress up day and made the "nerolizers" we just took the flash mods out of a disposable camera added two button switches and a "AA" battery holder. it works like clock work. you press our black button to charge the capacitor, and then the red button to discharge to the flash. just be careful with the capacitor it does hurt like hell when you get shocked by it.... also makes a really fun prank to pull on room mates lol (door knob with two wires and the capacitor).

That works for the flash, but the prank is the best use of this device, imo... :lol:. I have an SLR camera flash that works great, and its super bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back