Doing My first Concert Style Lighting Gig and need advice

Nuzzoman

Hi, I am a volunteer at my local High School and have been doing lights there for 4 years. We have had an etc ion for the past 2 years and it has been wonderful for our theatrical productions and general event lighting. This year for the first time we are doing a Choral Gala featuring all rock and pop music and the conductor wants the lighting in the style of a modern concert. So we are renting 10 robe100's and hazing out the auditorium for the show. My Question is this What is the best way to control that kind of show timing wise? A single cue sheet seems almost too ridge like it wouldn't fit with the music. Should I use magic sheets with multiple cue sheets so i can have lots of different looks to switch between and just time it myself by watching the score and just timing in manually. Or is there a better more standard way to program this that i just haven't realized yet. This is the type of look that i would love to achieve in terms of how well the music and lights are coordinated.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you for your opinions and advice!
PS. the concept for the stage setup is attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.10.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.10.45 PM.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 176
Got a faderwing?

You will want to do most of the show from from submasters, and likely a mix of Intensity master Subs and Effect Subs. Effect subs let you control the rate via the fader handle, insteity master subs let you mark different base looks and switch to them via bump buttons. while the fader controls the intensity of the fixtures programmed into it , effectively letting you mark, so you can hide some of your moves if you need to. Another neat trick is to set up a couple of faders as separate cue lists that can cycle through colors or color palettes by using the fader bump buttons. In these cues you probably don't want intensity levels, just color information. You may also want to turn off tracking.
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads...-steps-to-a-speedy-success.37084/#post-321182 has some useful tips.
Good Luck.

you want to build a "punt page." Punting is the same as Busking. But the term "punting" is more rock an roll. Im not sure how much flexibility you have on the ion, But ELGusto is leading you in the fight direction. Have the intensity broken up into several faders. one that controls odds, one for evens, one for DS, one for US, or whatever grouping gives you dynamic looks.

Make a few strobe buttons too. fast, slow, Random fast, Random slow, etc. Some color and dimmer chases can go a long way too.

Make separate fades for effects. Pan, Tilt, Circle, etc

It is very time consuming to program in detail for each song. Having options at you fingertips is the way to go. Believe it or not, this is haw a lot of professional concerts are run, especially if the band does not have an LD, its a daytime festival, one-off, or a crap-hole club. Sometimes there is no way to plan what the show will be like. ENTER THE PUNT PAGE!

I busk music alot on my Ion - more jazz/blues than pop/rock, but I use the same techniques for both. I agree that effect and intensity master subs will be your friend, as well as presets. Do you have a fader wing? For doing a big-ish show on the fly, I make full use of my 40 fader wing. The first 10 subs are houselights, conventional area washes for wandering musicians (and they will!) and bow/general washes. The next 10 are pretty conventionals - gobos, tip and back colours. The next 10 are movers - at least one intensity only and effect and intensity masters. The next 10 are specials as well as a few carefully chosen inhibitive subs - ie band face and stage. That's my general starting point.
The movers I have are vl 1000s and 2500s. Lets say a pop-ish song starts, and I decide to put my wash fixtures as back light on the band and the song sounds orange. I'll use a preset for focus and diffusion, a colour pallette for orange, and a sub where I only have their intensity to bring them on. All my colour palettes are cmy for the smoothest live changes using sneak. The song kicks off a bit, so I'll hit the bump button on an effect sub that has a pan tilt effect and run it up at a point when it makes sense and looks good. A bit later it sounds like I should hit and run up an effect sub that has an intensity or strobe chase on it. Then they really rev up so I'll hit the bump button that has my 1000s doing a fly out look, which is a pan/tilt effect, a rotating gobo and a colour, (all effects absolute made from palettes) and run up its intensity. Then towards the end of the song things calm down so I run down the 1000s sub and hit the button to release them, bring down the wash intensity effect sub, and the wash pan/tilt sub so they stop moving, release them, then as the band leaves I'll use the inhibitive sub to take their face light out, then bring up an area wash as the MC comes out to introduce next and gently take the orange away.
ETC has some great pre-made effects in the 900s - square, triangle and circle are great ones to copy to a new effect number and alter to suit you, and there are some colour and intensity effects I've made good use of as well. I've tried using cue stacks, but in my situation I don't know the music generally before I hear it on show, and I've found subs and presets are quicker to find things. And there are always some unexpected changes or improvisations, and I've found this way more adaptable to those "oh by the way" moments. ETCs user forums are also a great place for info and advice.
Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back