Dove SceneMaster

I found one randomly laying at the bottom of the stairs today and I was just wondering why you would use it. What's it for/do?

Is it one of these: Dove Systems ? If it is, then it could be useful for controlling a few lights for small gigs outside of the main theatre. It is an all in one dimmer and controller for controlling a small number of lights.

I would think that a DJ would find it very useful since all of their lights are usually right next to them. It allowed someone who was doing something very small to be able to have dimming and control together (think GP lighting in a gymnatorium or the like). Are you going to get fancy, probably not. Then again, it's a whole lot better than just hot patching all your lights.

In college we had a couple of little all-in-one Dove boards. We used them a couple of times for lighting directing scenes (with minimal lights) so we didn't have to move a real board down onto the deck and so on. Very useful for little things where you only need a few channels of control and (if it's all-in-one) dimming.

I am a volunteer at a school. I am a retired Director/Cinematographer. Theatre is not my actual skill set. I’m just helping out. Is there some place I can send this old dimmer console for a reset/repair? Is there a board I can rent or even buy to use while it is out? Thanks for your (any) solutions or ideas, Demp Dempsey

According to their website, https://www.dovesystems.com/ is still in business. I recall a good experience with them back in the 1980s. At one time, they had perhaps the lion's share of the protocol converter market. Let us know whether or not they helped you.

Next best on the low budget repair would be the TD of a local college with a decent theatre dept. Perhaps he/she would be willing to bring a student or two over to your facility. For a six-pack (of adult beverage, not of dimmers).

Reactions: Van
According to their website, https://www.dovesystems.com/ is still in business. I recall a good experience with them back in the 1980s. At one time, they had perhaps the lion's share of the protocol converter market. Let us know whether or not they helped you.

Next best on the low budget repair would be the TD of a local college with a decent theatre dept. Perhaps he/she would be willing to bring a student or two over to your facility. For a six-pack (of adult beverage, not of dimmers).
Thankz Derek. There is a repair tech here, but I was told the controller company is out of business.
He probably wants to sell us something new & not be bothered with an old headache.
I have done idiot checks with several local theatre techs & they all say it is something inside the controller.
I’d happily do a 12 pack thing if I can find someone with a solution.
Thanks again!

Even though it appears you can still buy these consoles new, I think it might be a good time to move along to something different. The console outputs DMX so you should have a variety of equipment to chose from. A local theatre rental/sales company should be able to give you a demo.

Here is something old but cheap on ebay that is similar to what you have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335347443869?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=264184&meid=beae26160827440b8266ee9d1c2cce9d&pid=101224&rk=5&rkt=5&sd=144508598972&itm=335347443869&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2332490&algv=DefaultOrganicWebV9BertRefreshRankerWithCassiniEmbRecall&brand=NSI&_trksid=p2332490.c101224.m-1

Last edited:
Do you have the manual? Does your Dove have a security “feature” that protects the programed presets?

I’m asking because the Elation Scene Setter lines allow a user to change the programing Record Code. I once had a student change the default Elation Record Code without telling anyone.

Dove Systems 48ch Tech Master Console. HELP please. I can no longer record or change anything on any preset.
Rich Howe is your man at Dove Systems. Great guy and always very helpful. Give him a call at 805-541-8292.
Do you mean that you can no longer record on any of the submasters (to the left of the master fader and crossfader) or that you cannot bring anything up using the the X or Y
rows of faders (on the right of the master fader and crossfader)? These consoles are easily fixable and as mentioned above, are still being sold.

Echoing Microstar here. Dove Systems is still in business as I bought something from Rich just a few months ago. Super nice guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back