Dracula Cross

So I'm working on Dracula, and we have a cross that needs to catch fire during the show. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to do this safely.

My current idea is to encase copper tubing in wood and put some flash cotton in the center, and an ignitor on the back, with the flames coming out the ends.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with less time, and possibly more of the fire actually showing then just coming out of the ends.

Oh yeah, it's also a hand prop and must light while the actor holds it. Any ideas?

Do you really want to risk A LOT by using real flame? We can come up with alternatives, but it is probably going to be against CBs TOS to discuss an actual open flame. We can come up with a lot of alternatives though.

Can you share a bit more about who the effect if for though? School, community theater, professional, etc. Budget might be a factor as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it's also a hand prop and must light while the actor holds it. Any ideas?

I'd say don't do it this way. Unless you have experience with pyrotechnics before, if your venue can accommodate them and if your AHJ signs of on the effect then go that route. Otherwise, the Control Booth hive mind can come up with alternative suggestions.

Is this one effect really worth the risk of losing one (or many more) lives?

I won't describe how we did it for "Mors Dracula", since it involved pyro. However, the other half of the effect involved a cross made from compressed Fuller's earth and that crumbles to "ashes" when squeezed. A little singed finger action from Mina sells the impression of great heat.

This gag can be done, safely and with "flame". The last time I did this gag, it was in a LORT company, professional performers, Equity, professional technicians, IA, and a professional FX designer/engineer (me). Equity had to see the design, see the prop, and see several full effect test demo before they would sign off on it. This was well before The Station Fire so state and local regs were almost non existent, Equity was our biggest hurdle. That said, I feel the gag as designed would pass muster today, but only your local AHJ could determine that.

I'm not sure how much I could divulge here but I will tell you that it was basically flash paper and battery powered igniters. Flash paper can ignite highly flammable things like untreated erosion cloth, gas fumes, etc., but for the most part not much else. It burns so cool (you can hold it in your hand..... with care and practice) and so fast, there is not enough sustained flame/heat to ignite most items. A degree of danger, yes. But, like flying people, full pyro and flash/bang FX and other things, acceptable under the right circumstances.

What is your theatre? Community, Professional, School, College?

As others have said, contact a local pyrotechnics company. They can assist with permitting, insurance, safety, legalities, etc. Pyrotechnics should not be used unless a licensed technician is on site and your local AHJ has given approval.

This gag can be done, safely and with "flame". The last time I did this gag, it was in a LORT company, professional performers, Equity, professional technicians, IA, and a professional FX designer/engineer (me). Equity had to see the design, see the prop, and see several full effect test demo before they would sign off on it. This was well before The Station Fire so state and local regs were almost non existent, Equity was our biggest hurdle. That said, I feel the gag as designed would pass muster today, but only your local AHJ could determine that.

I'm not sure how much I could divulge here but I will tell you that it was basically flash paper and battery powered igniters. Flash paper can ignite highly flammable things like untreated erosion cloth, gas fumes, etc., but for the most part not much else. It burns so cool (you can hold it in your hand..... with care and practice) and so fast, there is not enough sustained flame/heat to ignite most items. A degree of danger, yes. But, like flying people, full pyro and flash/bang FX and other things, acceptable under the right circumstances.

What is your theatre? Community, Professional, School, College?

Well said, sir. I especially like that last part about "A degree of danger". Sometimes people forget that no matter how safe you do something along these lines, there is still a risk being undertaken.

Nice!

I like the idea of possibly brainstorming other ways of doing this effect without pyro.

Also we do have a technician that will be working on this that is a fully licensed pyro technician, and we have the necessary approvals and permits.

I work for a professional non union company, that has a couple union workers at the theatre we rent. In terms of budget, I'm not particularly sure, because of the way this place does budgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back