Durable Texture

krice

I'm designing and painting a large tree for a production of "As You Like It" and I'm torn about which technique to use to cover the underlying tree structure and create decent bark texture.

I need a solution that is easy to apply and can be walked on or kicked. The roots of the tree are rather sprawling and allow for actors to sit and stand on them(no one is really climbing the tree trunk-it's really more root climbing). There are also few shop staff, and I'm the only painter- so the simpler the process the better.

The tree structure will be wooden and covered with rabbit wire to create the first base of structural strength and shape. The next step starts my indecision- should the rabbit wire be covered with carpet glued together and then covered in scenic dope? Should I use Jaxsan or Joint Compound? I like the recipe I've found on here for VSSD- it also sounds cheaper than Jaxsan, maybe I'll make that? What about old velour or burlap dipped in glue?

If I use a scenic texture do I need a layer fabric underneath to block the texture from falling thru the rabbit wire? Is fabric dipped in glue durable enough for someone to stand on with a wooden frame and rabbit wire underneath them- most of the roots flat surfaces or tops will resemble platform construction but some of the side structure may have expanses of wire between 2x4 or 4x4 legs...

Any ideas for the simplest, most durable solution to create texture on a tree?

Something tells me that VSSSD would work.

I don't know about walking or kicking -- you might try contacting the creator, Van.

Is it safe to assume these are both the same thing? (Just missing a character)

Yeah, it's Van's Super Secret Scenic Dope.
VSSSD is walkable and durable but it's not structural. Youd neeed to make sure the underlying surface didn't flex at all before applying it. Oddly enough I just used it last summer to make 16 trees for AYLI. but they were all sonotube with two layers of dope on them.

We've covered foam scenery in burlap soaked in a mix of white glue and Rosco Flexbond. It's pretty bomb-proof. I wouldn't call it structural, but if your substructure is strong, this should survive some degree of flex without chipping off, as dope might do. I'll bet if you build up many layers, it would gain some degree of structure.

Certainly test before doing the whole set.

Of course if you feel like spending lots of money and using nasty chemicals, fiberglass will certainly do the job.

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll try VSSSD over fabric and make sure the frame is heavy duty enough to support any weight that the structure will be subjected to.

I don't think you'll regret it. Be sure to play with the formula a bit and don't hesitate to pm or email me if you have any questions. I'm teching a show and kinda sick right now, but I love answering questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back