Ear Mic advice -- Pyles?

amberjel

Has anyone ever heard of or used this mic? "Pyle-Pro - In Ear Mini XLR Omni-Directional Microphone (For Shure System)"

Or, can anyone recommend an ear mic for a Shure xmitter that is relatively inexpensive? I use countryman usually, but this is for a kid's summer camp. I don't want to spend a lot, but the mics they have been using are terrible, and they are due for an upgrade. Lavs work ok, but they fiddle with them or someone else fiddles with them, so I am looking for something I can tape to their heads.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you are referring to these: Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro - In Ear Mini XLR Omni-Directional Microphone (For Shure System): Musical Instruments

My only advice is that you get what you pay for...a $16 microphone isn't going to be comparable to a $170 Countryman B3 to a $300 E6.

For $16 you will be getting $16 worth of vocal quality, build quality of microphone, and durability. They will work like a microphone - but how well is debatable.

Good luck! If you end up going with them, tell us how they work!

I'd go with Shure WL93 for something like this...my money says the Pyle-Pro is going to break in a week. The 93 isn't a boom mic, but a bit of elastic band and it goes right into the hairline.

For 16 bucks I would give it a run and see what happens. Considering the repair bill to send any blown out countryman mic in is at least a hundred bucks, it might be worth it. It might also sound like crap, but who knows. Chinese companys can do some amazing things... and some really crappy things.

As far as the WL93 goes, those things are priced so well that they are nearly disposable as well. At 70 bucks a piece, they once again fall into the "its cheaper to replace if then repairing a countryman" land. You have to be sure you buy them just as a raw mic with a connector (You want a WL93, not an SM93)... the stock version is shipped with an XLR adapter and it comes out to being about 50 dollars more a mic. Shure WL93 Microphone from Pro Audio Superstore

Being picky, but wouldn't it likely hurt to try to stick that "in ear"? :eek:

I don't really think it is fair to compare a WL93 to any of these mics. I have a couple that I use as lavs for presenters and such but they are black and rather large which makes them pretty difficult to hide compared to something like a B3/6 or MKE2. They are also not an ear mic like an E6 or the Pyle mic that was linked to. They have their applications where they excel (especially for the price) but I don't really think that theatre is one of them.

I'd still be scared to buy something like that for $16. It may seem like a good idea and worth a try but I'd still be cautious. But, for all we know, they may be just as good as the countrymans.

I'd still be scared to buy something like that for $16. It may seem like a good idea and worth a try but I'd still be cautious. But, for all we know, they may be just as good as the countrymans.

Its the price of a roll of gaff and a few batteries... 16 bucks for research is nothing. Hell, if I had shure wireless mics, I would buy one myself just to try it, whats the worst that can happen? I have spent 16 bucks on much more stupid stuff (like anytime I bet on a trifecta).

Its the price of a roll of gaff and a few batteries... 16 bucks for research is nothing. Hell, if I had shure wireless mics, I would buy one myself just to try it, whats the worst that can happen? I have spent 16 bucks on much more stupid stuff (like anytime I bet on a trifecta).
I'm certainly not saying that it isn't worth it to try it...I'm saying that if I had 16 mics and was going to buy new mics, I wouldn't want to buy almost $300 in mics that may turn out to not even work. I would love to be able to buy $16 mics.

Just ordered one. Had to give it a try for $16, Ill let you guys know how it works out.

Please do let us know! If they have decent sound quality, I'm definately stocking up on these. I know they are not the same as the E6's, but for my situation, they don't have to be. As long as the mom and dads and grandparents can hear their little Suzy or Johnny, they are happy (and I'm happy that I don't have to keep track of more expensive equipment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back