Egress lighting

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Anyone know where I can get info on egress lighting code. What its supposed to be ect?

NFPA 101, NFPA 1, International Building code.

List of NFPA Codes and Standards

In general you want to average 1 footcandle (roughly 10lux) over the area and never less than .1fc (~1lux). However, I have yet to see an inspector with a meter... Also be aware that the size of most auditoriums makes them tough to light.

NFPA 101, NFPA 1, International Building code.

List of NFPA Codes and Standards

In general you want to average 1 footcandle (roughly 10lux) over the area and never less than .1fc (~1lux).....

Although the NFPA is a good starting place....... Your local community may have more stringent guidelines. Ours in portland 2FC / sq. ft.

...However, I have yet to see an inspector with a meter... Also be aware that the size of most auditoriums makes them tough to light.

We spent over $5k working with electricians / architects / and the "lighting consultant" bringing our new lobby up to code after the consultant used the NFPA requirements instead of local requirements, and yes the inspector walked around with a meter in every square inch of the lobby, severral times, with an attitude, and a finicky meter.

Huh, that's tough. Our inspector (Fire Marshal, actually a nice guy) just made sure they stayed on for 90secs, but wouldn't go out onto our FOH catwalk. Hmm, I don't know which is better, knowing you're covered, or less strict rules...

So does this coveraisle lights as well or is there separate code for that?

So does this coveraisle lights as well or is there separate code for that?
From what I understand < read that as "I'm not a licensed Life/Safety expert".>
Aisle lighting is seperate from egress lighting. Egress is what must be present in the case of a power failure / disaster. Aisle lighting must be present when a room is occupied but use demands darkness otherwise.
I do believe the coverage on the floor mus be the same, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back