Design EL Wire

BlackoutGo

I’m about to wire q costume with EL wire and it is my first time using it. As they all use a battery inverter, I’m going to assume that using an RC4 wireless dimmer is out of the question (even more so with the full wireless bridge not in production anymore).*Correction RC4 is compatible, see Jim's response and links below.
I have read about noise being generated with EL wire. Am I going to have a ‘fun time’ as there is 3 different colours going off of one inverter?
Will the brightness of EL wire be of concern? Hopefully I have them in hand to test under full stage light next week before I have to strike the lights (I will post some pics for future reference as well, so we can all use it as reference).
Any tips or tricks would be welcomed. The old threads don’t seem to have much info.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, with option 1 that you listed, what would the general life expectancy be of the inverters in your experience. 3x3M length are currently planned on the costume.
As well, anyone have experience using the USB (5v) power inverters on the EL Wire? And would going 5v instead of 12v, potentially mean less of a curve in what I would be able to dim?

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, with option 1 that you listed, what would the general life expectancy be of the inverters in your experience. 3x3M length are currently planned on the costume.
As well, anyone have experience using the USB (5v) power inverters on the EL Wire? And would going 5v instead of 12v, potentially mean less of a curve in what I would be able to dim?

RC4 dimmers and drivers work down to 5V, so no problem there. If you find an inverter intended for 5V input, you can use it. All of the ones I've seen are 12V, but I haven't reinvestigated for a while.

I can't estimate running time without a bit more info. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can figure it all out on Monday.

Thanks!
Jim
RC4

I made four costume light up with multi wire using one converter. EL wire pro are the people you want to call. It's a 2 man operation but damn they are good people.

If you are worried about noise here is what they sound like by I think you will be fine.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've always found EL wire to be less than impressive intensity wise. Also most inverters have a pretty good amount of capacitance so I wouldn't expect sharp fades.

The more the better.

IMG_2660.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back