Elation Design Spot 575e capacitor replacement

Today I was taking some time with students to open up our two Design Spot 575e, for cleaning and because on of them is blinking. One of the instruments has some serious capacitor issues. I have never replaced capacitors myself, but it seems like a common repair, and is certainly less expensive than replacing the PCB.

Unrelated - I bought some 575 watt KMH ebay-specials, used, from a local guy who gave me a great deal on them. One of them will power up the lamp, but none of the other electronics. Wondering if it's a power supply? Or just say 1 out of 6 for used Chinese fixtures is still pretty good odds?

Generally speaking, capacitor replacement is a quick an easy fix. Remember to note the polarity of the capacitor before you remove it. It is common for the motherboard to be marked underneath the cap, but usually the positive side will be shaded in white. When you install the new capacitors, the long thick stripe is the NEGATIVE side. Always use caps rated for 105c if you can. Also in a pinch, you can install capacitors with a greater voltage rating than those you removed. ( A capacitator rated for 16 volts will only charge to 5 volts if placed on a 5v power rail)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back