Element console backup via computer/DMX interface?

abeness

I'm exploring disaster recovery options for backup lighting control from a computer (preferably Mac, but not essential) in the event our Element 60 desk were to fail. Yes, given sufficient time, we could rent a replacement desk, but let's assume there's no time, and that we have a backup Element showfile and want to run it from a computer IN THE ABSENCE of the Element desk. (I've heard of $580 dongle and Eos Family Client software that would permit computer control OF a "living" desk, but it mentions control of every desk in the family BUT Element. Not what I'm after, even if it does control Element.)

We do have a Paradigm Architectural Control Processor in the system, and have basic control from that, but it would be impossible to run anything more than a very basic show from that. Our Unison Heritage fader set on stage currently controls full electrics, certainly not sufficiently granular to run a show. Maybe one day I'll get trained in Light Designer and update those faders for our basic rep plot groups, but not for a long while.

I've been exploring various USB and Ethernet DMX adapters. Has anyone tried to convert an Element showfile to Open DMX? Anyone played with OLA (Open Lighting Architecture)? Tried recording the DMX stream for each cue for later playback from computer?

I don't want to spend mucho $$, because we're a school, not Broadway, but I do love to hack presumed impossible stuff together to keep the show on. Not that I want to waste too much time, of course... ;-) We just can't spend thousands on redundant hardware.

Thanks for any suggestions/shared experience, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back