Control/Dimming ENR96 WIRING HELP

I understand your frustration. Trust me, we have all been there in some shape or form!

As [user]Sony[/user] pointed out, it may take some doing to get those entry stations interfaced correctly. I'll bet there is a way (almost certain), but it may take some type of external interface. For some [-]stupid[/-] unfathomable reason, many entry and remote "architectural controls" operate either using a proprietary protocol or Analog (even some manufactured today). If you call Leviton armed with the model numbers or other general info regarding which stations are installed, they should be able to help you in determining what type of module you need (if any) to get them to talk to your dimmer rack. This is assuming that these are low voltage stations and not just wall dimmers. The stations may have the model/series nomenclature printed on the back, so if you don't have any documentation, you may have to pull one off the wall and have a look.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Another thing to look at is one set of houselights or the other has to be set to come on in case of power loss. This can be done and still be controlled the dimmers but it can get interesting. I was in the same boat last year when all my control wiring got cut and I had to go searching how it all actually worked. Good luck

(the people who bought Colortran and now produce the ENR96 dimmers).

Just so everyone is on the same page(and to share my knowledge), The Topaz and ENR96 racks were obsoleted by the i-series racks in late 09, so they no longer produce the product line. Or, at least thats the story I heard from the rep when I gave Leviton a call, seeing if they still had stock of the dimmer modules for the topaz 12 pack that I was about to buy.

On a side question, I'm guessing the "Rack Number" on the Topaz 12 processor is the way you would set the DMX address? Seems like outdated technology if you don't even get to have dip switches!

Another side question, what are the differences between the Topaz series and the ENR series? My guess is that the ENR was branded Colortran and Topaz was branded Leviton?

...On a side question, I'm guessing the "Rack Number" on the Topaz 12 processor is the way you would set the DMX address? Seems like outdated technology if you don't even get to have dip switches! ...
If the Topaz 12 follows the same convention as Colortran's D192 dimmers:
Rack# = Dimmers
0 = 1-12
1 = 13-24
2 = 25-36,
etc.
It's not an unusual scheme for that time period--requiring the starting dimmer number be a multiple of 12 +1; most other manufacturers did the same. Even some MLs had this limitation; original Cyberlights, for example, had be be a multiple of 20 +1, even though they used dip switches for addressing.

Steve Short of Lite-Trol Service is likely the leading authority on discontinued Colortran control products. Not so much on website building and maintenance, however.;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back