Entertainment Technology Education Article

Discussion in 'Education and Career Development' started by JohnHuntington, Aug 29, 2019.

1. JohnHuntington

JohnHuntington Active Member

Scott Lumley, KacyC and rsmentele like this.
  2. rsmentele

rsmentele Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

JohnHuntington and RonHebbard like this.
  3. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Sherpa CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    Well put. When you mentioned that you were going to write this update, I thought that it would be a challenge. I believe that this is a great conversation starter with the theater departments. Bravo.

4. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    I still maintain that an undergraduate degree is NOT job training. It's general education and exposure to high level thought processes. It makes one a better person and therefore a better employee.

Job skills can/must be learned in a variety of ways. They must also be updated expanded continuously until full retirement.

RonHebbard and Colin like this.
  5. ellisael

ellisael Member

Very thought provoking article. Glad to have stumbled into finding it!

6. JohnHuntington

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. DaveySimps

DaveySimps CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Performing Arts Center Manager
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

An interesting follow up (for me as a reader) would be from educational institutions as to how difficult creating a training program with so much costly technology is. Paramount to the success of such a program would be staying updated in technology available to students to work on, how does an institution sustain the cost of this over time.

~Dave

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. JohnHuntington

This is certainly a challenge, but one point I make in both articles (and is one thing my Provost keyed in on when reading the article :) ) is that this stuff is cheaper than ever. There is low end lighting, sound, video, etc that will definitely get the concepts across. When I was 13 I was building my own light board, smoke machine, black powder (!) flash pots etc for my brother's band. These days I could get all of that stuff (not pyro :)) on Amazon even in my cornfield home town. When I was a kid I had to go with my mother 2 hours to the university of maryland book store to find any information. These days I have free video lectures on my web site.

John

TimMc, RonHebbard and DaveySimps like this.
  9. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  10. EdSavoie

EdSavoie Well-Known Member

College Student
    From a sunsetting Entertainment Technology program at St. Clair college, I'd have to say my education did a pretty decent job at keeping up with the recomendations in that article. Like @TimMc just pointed out, keeping up completely with technology is prohibitively expensive, but even with our at (frequent) times lackluster budget, the three year program does cover all the major and emerging disciplines rather well. Lighting, Sound, Rigging (Counterweight and arena) Automation, Networking, Video, Stage carpentry, Scenic painting and i'm sure others i'm forgetting. (sorry if I forgot your area)

It's rather fascinating operating completely different eras of equipment at the same time, we recently reached into the depths of our storage and pulled out a pair of PRG retired Cyberlight SV fixtures, for which both our MA 1 Ultralight and Ma dot2 have profiles for.

(Is it a crime to like Scanners?)

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. JohnHuntington

We certainly focus on having students be able to think, but we don't focus on design (and of course there are a hundred schools that do). But that said, our students continuously surprise me with their own cultural sensitivity even to very weird art despite only minimal exposure to classic art of any kind. I think growing up in NYC is a big part of that. And we've had students go off to pursue traditional MFA's.

It's interesting I've also come to realize--after 20 years in a public inner city school--that there is a class/privilege element to this whole thing as well. Many of our students are poor and/or immigrants, who don't have the "luxury" to pursue a creative career in an area simply because they have a passion for it--they need to pay the bills. We don't do a lot of traditional theatre simply because our students are all working or taking care of their grandmother or whatever, and can't make weeks of rehearsals. We now have hundreds working successfully in the field so they seem to do OK without that.

I would agree with this in principle if the gear was bought since about 2010. You need basic things like USB, ethernet, etc to be able to function in and connect with the modern world. We got one set of light boards replaced when we told the funders that we were running out of floppy disks. But yes a digital Berhinger (ugh) console can teach you a lot.

I'm also not a lighting person but this is an interesting transition going on--there's books out now on it and so on.

John

RonHebbard and TimMc like this.
  12. JohnHuntington

Well I was a consultant on the curriculum there :) I even sold some materials for one of my classes.

I heard recently that the program was ending, which I'm sorry to hear. We had a few students who did their last year with us and they were all very good.

John

EdSavoie and RonHebbard like this.
  13. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  14. JohnHuntington

Definitely. One thing to clarify about is that very, very few of our graduates work in "legit" theater. We were founded around a pure theatre model but have moved away over the last 20 years. But of course we emphasize that everything we do is about supporting the story--whether that's a play, a concert, wrestling show, or corporate presentation.

John

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. EdSavoie

EdSavoie Well-Known Member

College Student

A wrestling show, sounds familiar...
    (The program does tapings for Impact wrestling, formerly BCW)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice