Eos RVI Page Up/Down Button?

rochem

Hey all,

Quick question. Most times when I'm renting a console package, we spec a Page Up/Down button for the RVI - basically a small box with an up and down button so that the designer can page through the channel display without needing to use the buttons on the RVI. Is this a product that exists out there, or are these just built by the shop and sent out? I'm looking to purchase/build one in the near future.

I assume you're talking about the ETC RVI, but really, for any "RVI" that's actually a PC in a box, any USB X-Keys product would get the job done. Their site is messed up right now, but I'm imaging one of their trimmable button strips.

Last edited:
I've rented them from PRG in the past. Not sure if they would be open to sharing how they did it or sell you one, but they might be a good first phone call.

With an RVI you can program the buttons on the front panel of the device to do just about anything, you can easily make one pageUP and one PageDown. This is done through the shell and is very easy.

You can also plug in any USB keyboard and use the arrow keys to page channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I suspect what rochem is getting at is:
  1. The RVI may not be located where convenient to access the front buttons.
  2. It's best not to offer a designer any more buttons than absolutely necessary. More buttons equals more choices, and more chances for them to screw it up. ;)

2. It's best not to offer a designer any more buttons than absolutely necessary. More buttons equals more choices, and more chances for them to screw it up. ;)

Both are completely true. Also, the button that comes from PRG fits very nicely into one's hand, and designers love the ability to lean back in their chairs or stand up and still be able to keep the button in their hands to quickly page through channels. It seems to be quite easy to build, I was just wondering if it was actually a pre-fabricated product that ETC just didn't advertise very well before I went and built my own.

Both are completely true. Also, the button that comes from PRG fits very nicely into one's hand, and designers love the ability to lean back in their chairs or stand up and still be able to keep the button in their hands to quickly page through channels. It seems to be quite easy to build, I was just wondering if it was actually a pre-fabricated product that ETC just didn't advertise very well before I went and built my own.

In the what-it's-worth category, if you run your RVI in mirror mode, the only thing anyone sitting in front of it can do as page channels, other than that, pushing buttons does a whole lot of not much (unless you know the shortcuts to get out of mirror-mode). In this way, as long as the processor to which the RVI is mirroring has a Live Channel or Live Table up on display 1, the LD can look at channels and page to their hearts delight without affecting anything else in the system. Thusly given them a keyboard is not really a big deal. Not to mention the fact that I like having an keyboard at our tech tables because during a work call it can be convenient if you know how to use it.

However, if you want something simpler, you don't have to build it (unless you really want to). Any X-Keys product that has a memory-resident mode can be programmed with any keys you want. So you just set it up on your computer with the buttons you want to give the LD, upload the configuration to the device, and then plug it into your RVI. Should work great.

In the what-it's-worth category, if you run your RVI in mirror mode, the only thing anyone sitting in front of it can do as page channels, other than that, pushing buttons does a whole lot of not much (unless you know the shortcuts to get out of mirror-mode). In this way, as long as the processor to which the RVI is mirroring has a Live Channel or Live Table up on display 1, the LD can look at channels and page to their hearts delight without affecting anything else in the system. Thusly given them a keyboard is not really a big deal. Not to mention the fact that I like having an keyboard at our tech tables because during a work call it can be convenient if you know how to use it.

I actually hate mirror mode, for reasons I was about to explain here, but instead opted to start a poll on, because I've been wondering about this for a long time. See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/29960-what-mode-do-you-run-your-rvis.html.

However, if you want something simpler, you don't have to build it (unless you really want to). Any X-Keys product that has a memory-resident mode can be programmed with any keys you want. So you just set it up on your computer with the buttons you want to give the LD, upload the configuration to the device, and then plug it into your RVI. Should work great.

This is probably what I'll do. Thanks.

However, if you want something simpler, you don't have to build it (unless you really want to). Any X-Keys product that has a memory-resident mode can be programmed with any keys you want.

As much as I love X-Keys, I feel like their cheapest product(~$100) has to be much more expensive than PRG's two-buttons-on-a-RadioShack-project-box solution...

If you're going for minimum cost, you can take an old USB keyboard, take it apart, trace the PgUp/PgDown closure's paths back to their corresponding contacts on the PCB, then pull the board out and wire up whatever sort of buttons you like. Everything will fit into a small project box. Reliability will be a function of your soldering and hot-glueing skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back