ETA Lighting Questions Answered

Re: Old Dimmer Pack and Control Cord Question

i have two of them also they are old style analog 0-10 volts units. they still work in some cases for me i still have an analog system and just patched them into it. i email eta 5 or6 years ago and they sent me a circuit diagram for them with no problem. if you can get i can try to forward a copy to you

Re: Old Dimmer Pack and Control Cord Question

I haven't worked with these packs, but running 0-10v systems over is easy enough.
(Begin blind guessing - get the circut diagram before you try any of this!)
If you get a DMX-to-10v decoder (I use the ones from Northlight when I renovate old theaters)
then you could hopefully just do a 1-to-1 connection, either by jamming them into the plug, juryrigging a male plug, or opening it up and solder, and it may work. I renovated an old restaurant-intentioned controller that took this weird 12-pin control signal, but once I opened it up I saw the 0-10v controllers and was able to solder right to there, and it works like a charm. to get DMX control into the thing.

ETA 6 Pin Cables "Old School"

Does anyone happen to have any of these old school ETA 6 Pin dimmer/control cables for sale? Or had any luck making your own? Thanks for the help folks and enjoy your day!

Re: ETA 6 Pin Cables "Old School"

This thread is kind of sad. So many unanswered questions! Is the connector in question a Cinch-Jones? If so, you should be able to buy the connector and wire (solder) it to the appropriate wire. Class 2 wiring should work as long as it has the appropriate amount of conductors and can carry at least 10VDC. Belden should have it. Pick the connector with care, while paying very close attention to horizontal vs vertical pins.

Cabling: Belden - Sending All The Right Signals.

A good supplier for connectors is Mouser: Cinch Jones Connectors Jones Plugs & Sockets | Mouser
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And though he is probably long gone, I'll feel better if I do this...

I just picked up an ESA 1234 controller and an ESA 1253 dimmer pack. Looking for a manual for the 1234. It came with one cable connecting lights bank 1-4. Would like another cable to connect 5-8. Also, not sure where to plug the second cable in on the dimmer pack, I have two connections on the back, one says in, the other says out. Any information you can give me would be great
Tom Bauer

Dimmer packs connect from the output of the board to the input of the dimmer pack. If you are daisy-chaining dimmer packs, the second (or subsequent) dimmer packs will connect from the output of the last pack to the input of the next pack. Since this is likely analog, the next pack will mirror the last pack (you now have 2 packs running channels 1-4, etc). Connecting dimmer packs individually to the board's outputs will give you more channels until you reach capacity (fill all the outputs). Just remember that the board "talks" (output) and the dimmer packs "listen" (input).

Last edited:
Re: ETA 6 Pin Cables "Old School"

... Is the connector in question a Cinch-Jones? ...
No. As the drawing from this document.pdf indicates, I think it is a 6pin DIN, locking via screw collar, connector.
7565-eta-lighting-questions-answered-eta-6p-din.jpg

As this picture of a similar console shows, it may not have been a locking connector. I thought it was, but can't remember for sure.
ETA Control connector.jpg

Attachments

• ETA 6p DIN.jpg
    ETA 6p DIN.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
Controlling 1-10v. Dimmers through an NSI DeMultipler with a myDMX 2.0 controller

I want to use my laptop to control my ETA 4 Channel Dimmer Packs ,,, I also have 16 RGB's

Right now , I have to use a Chauvet board to run the RGB's and I have a NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 for the pars. I am interested in using American Dj's myDMX to
control all of my lighting.
The techs at American Dj say it should not be a problem, but I have read conflicting information about the amount of current used to power of the NSI and the power used in DMX lighting I want to use my laptop to control my ETA 4 Channel Dimmer Packs ,,, I also have 16 RGB's

Right now , I have to use a Chauvet board to run the RGB's and I have a NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 for the pars. I am interested in using American Dj's myDMX to
The techs at American Dj say it should not be a problem, but I have read conflicting information about the amount of current used to power of the NSI and the power used in DMX lighting
may cause a problem???
Is this true ?? Is there a difference ?? Aren't all 3 pin mic cables the same ??
may cause a problem???
Is this true ?? Is there a difference ?? Aren't all 3 pin mic cables the same ??

Re: Controlling 1-10v. Dimmers through an NSI DeMultipler with a myDMX 2.0 controller

DMX is a data signal line (that yes, is sometimes run over 3 pin XLR microphone cables). There is no real 'power' to speak of there, it's just enough (think less than a flashlight) of current. Your DMX devices (including your dimmer pack) will all connect to the mains power as well as have the DMX connections.

In the dimmer pack, for example, the power comes in through the feed, passes through a circuit that applies a curve (the curve is determined by DMX input), then passes it back out (generally to Edison-style outlets numbered 1-4). The DMX signal is electrically isolated from the actual mains.

If you've ever worked with computers, picture how much current you would expect an ethernet/network cable to carry...the computers themselves are powered from the mains.

Re: Controlling 1-10v. Dimmers through an NSI DeMultipler with a myDMX 2.0 controller

I'm a little confused here, NSI DMX 16 is not a controller.

Controlling 1-10v. ETA Dimmer through an NSI DeMultipler with a myDMX 2.0 controller

I want to use my laptop to control my ETA 4 Channel Dimmer Packs ,,, I also have 16 RGB's

The techs at American Dj say it should not be a problem, but I have read conflicting information about the amount of current used to power of the NSI and the power used in DMX lighting
may cause a problem???

The DMX Demultiplexer splits a 3 pin DMX signal into 16 separate channels to control the faders on 4 / 4 channel ETA dimmer packs.. The controller we used was a Nova Board

The DMX 16 is a multiplex device, not DMX.
You would need to either add a DMX to MPX converter or eliminate the multiplex entirely and use a DMX to 1-10v converter.
These can run from $150 in a kit to upwards of $1000 for a high end unit.

ETA Professional Dimmer Pack Model 1662

I am looking for a manual for the ETA Professional Dimmer Pack Model 1662.
ETA_1662.jpg

I have 3 of these packs in my black box, no paperwork on them, and dimmer 3 in one of the packs isn't working. Does anyone have experience repairing these dimmers?

I appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have A Fair amount of information or knowledge regarding some of the ETA lighting controllers and dimmer packs. If you have questions let me know.
I have 2 625 ETA Dimmer Packs...I can't find schematics for them...They are in need of triacs...The part numbers have been wiped off the triacs....These units have 6 20 amp circuits...Any help appricated
I have A Fair amount of information or knowledge regarding some of the ETA lighting controllers and dimmer packs. If you have questions let me know.

I acquired an ETA Classic 231 foot controller with two foot (canopy) switches missing. Although the leads were clipped, I can trace the color leads that go to the one solder lug on the switches. The other lugs have a black wire jumpered from switch to switch but I cannot identify where it may have been terminated. I do see a new ring tongue for the ground wire. Since this is obviously not factory I’m suspecting that the black wire terminated as ground there. If you have a schemo, may I have a copy? If you do have a copy but not willing to share it, can you confirm my grounding suspicion?

I have a pair of ETA 625's...I need Opto Couplers and Triacs...The product numbers have been wiped off the components...Does anyone know the numbers and/or where I can purchase them? I am not able the find the schematics either, so I am looking for them too...

I have a pair of ETA 625's...I need Opto Couplers and Triacs...The product numbers have been wiped off the components...Does anyone know the numbers and/or where I can purchase them? I am not able the find the schematics either, so I am looking for them too...

Contact Jim Sidney at this url http://www.gourmetpa.com/. He used to service ETA products as well as build custom dimmer packs. Several years ago they had a flood and their ETA library is gone. However, he's a pretty sharp guy and may be able to pull the info you seek from his brainiac.

I acquired an ETA Classic 231 foot controller with two foot (canopy) switches missing. Although the leads were clipped, I can trace the color leads that go to the one solder lug on the switches. The other lugs have a black wire jumpered from switch to switch but I cannot identify where it may have been terminated. I do see a new ring tongue for the ground wire. Since this is obviously not factory I’m suspecting that the black wire terminated as ground there. If you have a schemo, may I have a copy? If you do have a copy but not willing to share it, can you confirm my grounding suspicion?

I know I'm replying to myself but I'm putting this info here to possibly help someone else out.....6 pin cables for the old ETA's are impossible to find. So, I have set out on a quest to recreate two 50' cables using the following resources: One American DJ cable assembly AC5PDMX100 5-pin from HIFI Sound Connection in Nixa Missouri - $53; and Four 6 Pin Metal male Solder Connectors #1749 from Show Me Cables in Chesterfield, MO, $17. Cut the cable in half, clip the two 5 pin connectors. For my system I only need four conductors so I'll choose the ones I want out of the 5 and solder up the connectors. This cable is shielded but I don't need shielded cables since I'm not transmitting data so I'll clip it back even with the cable jacket. Note: there is a dimensional conflict in that the cable OD is .295" and the connector is good up to 7mm\.275". I'm guessing that a little silicone grease will resolve that. I'll let you know how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back