ETC Console SIMPLE question

Hey guys! I have a real simple question, that I might be able to figure out if my brain was not so fried from graduate finals.

On an ETC console (specifically an Insight 3, but I think this goes for a lot of the expression series also..) when you have a channel that is purple, it was tracked in from the previous cue. I want to start a completely new look, is there an easier way, besides setting that channel at zero, to begin creating my new look?

For example, I was helping some students today create a very simple light show for their final. The sliders were set to channel mode, so if you raise a slider it would bring up the coresponding channel, they created the look that they wanted and then wanted to go on to the next cue, well all these channels are now locked and you cant just lower the sliders to take out the lights, you would have to bring them all to zero by hitting (ch 4 thru 50 at 0) then start over creating a new cue. Do you always have to bring them all to zero to start from scratch? Or not? I probably would know the answer to this simple as heck question, but im brain fried from finals. THANKS!

It isn't that the channels are tracking, so much as once you record the cue, you are then in the cue. You either need to clear the cue from your fader pairs or goto cue 0 (though I don't think that this is an option on an insight)

I would make sure you aren't in the cue. They'll should be able to just create your looks and the record and move on. Like what ice wolf said (simul-post)

I would make sure you aren't in the cue. They'll should be able to just create your looks and the record and move on. Like what ice wolf said (simul-post)

so basically...if I dont want to go to cue zero or anything, I should just bring everything down to zero manually and work from there, record the cue and move on? then when i release the channels finally it will go back to the cue...I guess I started with?

BTW
Purple means that channels level is the same as it was in the previous cue.
Blue means that channels level is higher than it was in the previous cue.
Green means that channels level is lower than it was in the previous cue.

so basically...if I dont want to go to cue zero or anything, I should just bring everything down to zero manually and work from there, record the cue and move on? then when i release the channels finally it will go back to the cue...I guess I started with?

When you record a cue on Insight, anything that is up on the screen will record into the cue. If your intention is to start from black for every cue you write then you need to clear your playback faders, release any captured channels, set all your subs & channel faders at 0, and make sure you are not in a cue.

Most consoles put you into the cue you just recorded, especially consoles designed for that use. Why? Because most of the time cues are built in sequence and cues are built based on the previous cue.

A couple other things to note. I believe that the default operation for any faders on Insight is HTP. Therefore, if a cue has a channel at a higher level than the fader, the fader won't affect the level until it gets higher than the recorded value. However, if you key in values on the keypad, that is LTP, so the value you enter will supersede any other value on the channel.

As a side note, I always find it faster to enter data on the keypad.

Last edited:
generally if I am building cues like that and want to start from black for the next cue I'll record a series of cues with no lights up. Then I set the levels I want, record the new cue 1, hit go and it advances to cue 2 which I had already recorded as no lights. Set the levels I want for that, hit go and it blacks out again at cue 3. I find that if that's how I want to work on something it saves time in the long run, is easier and if I end up with extra cues because I recorded 30 with no levels set I can just delete the extra cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back