ETC Consoles and End of Support for Windows XP

JGO

So, now that it has ended, what do i do with my Congo Jr? Will ETC include a windows update on the next firmware update, or am I going to have to pay extra for that? And will it go screwey with the hardware? Does anyone have any ideas?

Just because XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it does not mean that it stops working. It just gets increasingly more vulnerable to security hacks. But your Congo Jr. isn't supposed to be on an open network so that won't matter.

There are rumours of an OS upgrade for the older Eos and Congo consoles but if it happens at all it likely won't be for free. ETC would have to pass on the costs that Microsoft charges. FWIW, there's not much value in upgrading the OS without being able to upgrade the video card to support newer multi-touch displays. I would rather see a trade-in or refurbishment plan that includes the Gio/Cobalt motherboard and SSD.

Theoretically (and I'm guessing here) since the console never sees the internet ever (right?), it will continue to run just like it has been for as long as you've had it, and unable to be infected with any sort of malware.

Theoretically (and I'm guessing here) since the console never sees the internet ever (right?), it will continue to run just like it has been for as long as you've had it, and unable to be infected with any sort of malware.

Yep, no need to update windows on a lighting console unless there is a bug in windows causing the console to crash. Which I'm pretty sure have all been found and fixed by now.

Just because XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it does not mean that it stops working. It just gets increasingly more vulnerable to security hacks. But your Congo Jr. isn't supposed to be on an open network so that won't matter.

There are rumours of an OS upgrade for the older Eos and Congo consoles but if it happens at all it likely won't be for free. ETC would have to pass on the costs that Microsoft charges. FWIW, there's not much value in upgrading the OS without being able to upgrade the video card to support newer multi-touch displays. I would rather see a trade-in or refurbishment plan that includes the Gio/Cobalt motherboard and SSD.
Holy Goose, you still exist!?

(Trying not to take this thread too far off course, but since Congo Jr and Windows XP came up... Mods: Maybe this should get branched into another thread?)

Keep in mind that support for regular Windows XP has ended, but the Congo and Eos Family of consoles, when they use XP, use XP Embedded. That still has support from Microsoft for a while yet (looks like the end of 2016). Even at that point, since we recommend keeping the console off of the internet and on a closed network, it would still be fine running Windows XPe. The chance of a console being compromised is significantly less, and we can reimage the console back to a factory state in the event that it is infected with some kind of malware (still unlikely).

Stay tuned for more information on upgrades to Windows 7 (which would actually be Windows Embedded Standard 7 for those keeping score at home)... Sk8rsdad is on the right track though.

Hans
ETC Technical Support

Stay tuned for more information on upgrades to Windows 7 (which would actually be Windows Embedded Standard 7 for those keeping score at home)... Sk8rsdad is on the right track though.

Hans
ETC Technical Support

Looks like the cat is chewing it's way out of the bag, and I might be getting my wish :). According to a post this morning on Facebook.

avalentino" said:
The Win7 update will be shortly available for Element, Ion, RVI and Ion RPU. It includes a new image, SSHD, new motherboard and an extended warranty. This is independent of having RDM functioning on the hardline DMX ports on the desk - which will be included in 2.3 (later this year).

Hmm. Could this be a in-the-field upgrade? Something tells me (the new warranty) it won't be..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back