Control/Dimming ETC Ion Color Chase effect

Hey all,

So I'm trying to program a specific-looking effect into the Ion, and I'm not sure how to get what I want. We have an archway of 18 RGBA lights, and we're looking to make a color chase that starts at the top center and chases out to either side simultaneously. I've gotten close a few times, but none of the looks I'm getting are clean--the timing is off or the colors aren't doing what I expect. What's the best way to do this?

(P.S. Bonus if I can use color palettes in the effect, rather than using, say, the Red parameter or the Blue parameter.

Pixel mapping will do this for you really quick and easy. Just make a 1hx18w pixel map using the onboard virtual media server and then in the effect layer use one of the rainbow in->out looks.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check this out. This and the 3rd video in this series really helps.

Also if you are not interested in pixel mapping I do believe you could make maybe seven (or more) color palettes in rainbow colors and then make an absolute effect.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

So I'm trying to program a specific-looking effect into the Ion, and I'm not sure how to get what I want. We have an archway of 18 RGBA lights, and we're looking to make a color chase that starts at the top center and chases out to either side simultaneously. I've gotten close a few times, but none of the looks I'm getting are clean--the timing is off or the colors aren't doing what I expect. What's the best way to do this?

(P.S. Bonus if I can use color palettes in the effect, rather than using, say, the Red parameter or the Blue parameter.

If you want to use palettes, that is not so hard. First record all the color palettes you want to use. I would record each palette as if it were a step in the effect, so give each unit the color you want it to be in. Then create a step based effect or an absolute effect and have each step be the fixtures in one of your palette's in sequential order.

You could also do this by programming the lights on a separate cue list with appropriate follows and then either running that cue list manually on a playback or triggering it from your main cue stack.

In the end, this would probably take as much or more time to program than the pixel mapping solution.

Thank you guys! Making the absolute effect run presets worked perfectly. My only remaining question now is: how do I get it to snap between steps, rather than the crossfade I'm getting now? I'd love for the effect to fade in with the cue, but then bump between each step.

Thank you guys! Making the absolute effect run presets worked perfectly. My only remaining question now is: how do I get it to snap between steps, rather than the crossfade I'm getting now? I'd love for the effect to fade in with the cue, but then bump between each step.

Make sure that the In/Out timings on each step are set to 0. If they have a time they will fade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back