Control/Dimming ETC Ion Question

Mattj150

Hey, so I'm working on designing my schools heartweek concert using our ETC Ion. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to have effects/cues cycle to an audio input? I noticed the console had a microphone and line in on it. Another side note, does anyone know how to make it so presets do not have to have channels selected to work? I want to be able to quickly switch between random looks not in any order.

Thanks

If memory serves, the audio ports are not functional (as yet), but are vestigial computer connections not yet implemented.

Two ways to recall Presets without typing a channel list on the command line, "Recall From" and "Sneak". Recall From is instantaneous. Sneak is in the pre-defined Sneak time, or can be used with Time as in "Sneak, Time, 10, Enter"

Another side note, does anyone know how to make it so presets do not have to have channels selected to work? I want to be able to quickly switch between random looks not in any order.

Nope, that's how presets are intended to work. The idea is that, assuming you had a very large moving light rig, you could program them all into the same preset, then choose on the fly which fixture(s) you wanted to perform that task. I assume you're looking to busk the show, or change the stage look on the fly? The best way to do this will depend largely on the size of your rig and the type of show you're doing,but I would probably give this look its own individual fader. Select all the lights that you want to change, and put them in this preset. Record this in a new cue list (Record Cue 2/1, assuming you don't have any other cue lists). Then just load this cue into an empty fader and you can trigger it with the go button for that fader. You can also record multiple presets into this same fader so you can keep pressing Go and the presets will change.

Another way to do this is just by recording all these fixtures to a Group, then selecting that group and putting it into the preset you want. This is very easy on the Eos when you have lots of available direct selects, but on the Ion I would just have your secondary screen (a touch screen, if you're lucky) be a bank of direct selects so you can quickly select groups and presets. There's a bunch of other ways to do this as well - record it to a submaster, create an effect, link from a macro, link from your active cue list, and more - but this should be enough to get you started.

For your first question - I would assume so, but I have no idea how it would be done. Spend some quality time reading through the manual, then head over to the ETC Eos/Ion forum and ask there, and you'll get much better responses.

EDIT: SteveB beat me to it, and he's correct. Be aware that Sneak and Recall From will bring up all the channels recorded in that preset, which in retrospect is probably what you're after.

Last edited:
If memory serves, the audio ports are not functional (as yet), but are vestigial computer connections not yet implemented. ...

SteveB is correct. The audio inputs are for future development and are not yet implemented. It is on the list... (No, I do not have a timeline when they will be implemented :p)

Thanks guys, I'll just make some direct selects since we have touch screens for our bored and that will be great when they finally add the audio functionality.

Since you say Touch Screens, plural I'll share one work method we find works well for busking.

Record your individual ML's as Groups, I.E. Fix 1 Record Group 1, Fix2 Group 2, etc... (Do a Go to Cue Out between records to clear any manual selections) and maybe a group for 1,3, 5 then another for 2,4, 6 and another as ALL or however you want. Label all groups as such. Then record a bunch of colors into Color Palettes, ditto a whole lot of Focus Palettes, such as Fan 1, Fan 2, House, House Walls, Band, Down Center. Repeat for whatever gobo's are in the units. I do a Direct Select set of Beam Palettes across the DS screen - I.E. Star Sm, Star Slw CW (Rotates slowly Clockwise), then next is CCW, then Fast CW, then Fast CCW, then Large Slw CW, then CCW, etc... all set on the Direct Select buttons. I'm labeling all Direct Select buttons as I work.

Then we open the Direct Selects in a tab and place on the left screen. I have 4 sets of 2x20 buttons, the lowest is Groups. Next up is Focus, then Beam, then Color. On the other screen I open a Direct Select in Lower Left for the right screen and select this set DS's to be 5 rows of 10 Presets. I now have instant access to all fixtures and Palettes as well as upwards of 50 Presets. Save this setup as a Snapshot, only selecting Monitors and Direct Selects.

With the use of Recall From and Sneak, I can easily do an un-cued on-off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back