ETC iPhone RFU (No ranting..)

CSCTech

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forums about the iPhone RFUs and there has not that I can see a final answer to the question. To some it may seem bad practice or un-profesional, however the question is not, should someone use one, it is is there one and does it work.

That being said, the main topic.
We have recently gotten an ETC Express, no RFU included and so I was thinking about different RFU options. A pocket console or something similar is not an answer as I would just buy a real RFU if we would spend the money on it.
So I came to iPhone/iPod Touch applications. I know there is one, I have seen it, I believe it is about $50. I however do not know the name of it anymore or if it is workable.

So I was wondering if someone knew the name(s) of iPhone apps that will override a lighting console, in this case an Express.
And what is needed? Will a hotspot be created from the console or how does the phone communicate with the console?

And what about the practibility? Does it work? What is the delat?

I do not care if it saves anything or what it displays if things need to be entered via numbers, channels, dimmer, whatever.

For anyone going to say 'There should be one person at the board, two foc.....', please just don't. I did not ask should I, I asked about it. I think this is a very interesting and innovative idea, if it works. If the apps to not function correctly, then yes ranting about them is okay.

Thank you!

There is no iPod/iPhone app for the express.
There is one for the Eos/Ion/Element, but I have no experience with it.

With the express, I believe you are stuck with buying a wired or wireless RFU manufactured by ETC.

ETC's iPhone/iPod Touch app is the iRFR, which only works for the Eos line of consoles (Eos, Ion, Element.) It does have an RFU, but I'm not sure if it is wired or not. I don't think that there are any apps that could override an Express, but if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Yep, Nathaniel beat me to it.

Hmm, I guess so.

Well that's a bummer :/

Not sure if I was dreaming when I heard this,
But I remember hearing someone saying you can plug household wireless phone into the board and use it like an RFR/RFU ?_?
Think I was dreaming ; )

You have two choices with the express as far as an RFU goes. I am in the same boat you are in my space.

You can buy a hard wired or wireless RFU. Both are fairly expensive on the used market. The ETC wireless RFU for the express was never a great product. It worked, but was in no way perfect. The wired RFU was great but the displays died after awhile. There are also 3rd party products on there such as the focus phone but that has been discontinued.

Now, if you are OK not having a directly connected RFU you can cobble together a system to allow you to use your iPhone with your lighting system for about 250-300 bucks. Buy Luminair and an Enntec ODE and insert it into your lighting system. Ideally you would use a second input on your dimmer rack that you could set to HTP or get some type of combiner or another ODE to pass the DMX through. If you had an artnet 2 input/output node it would be pretty simple to set up. That would give you dimmer control. It would not give you channel control without patching and won't give you cue control. It would work though. Not the cleanest thing in the world, but it would work.

Hmm, rather disappointing, Was hoping ETC would of made a simpler way such as the iPhone apps but since the console is discontinued I can pretty much not even think about it.

I am liking the Enntec Ode idea Footer. How does it work? Getting WiFi in the theatre wouldnt be a problem, could just setup a router somewhere. But I am a little lost on the Enntec Ode par. Assuming I would connect it to an open control line? Which would be backstage which is fine. But how does Luminar connect to the Enntec Ode? Does an ethernet cable connect to the box and it transmits its own signle, will the phone automaticly see the box when connected, or..?

And to bad on the FoucsRemote (That is where I saw a household phone idea!) being discontinued, although rather expensive would be good.

ETC does not make the wired RFU anymore. I hate the wireless RFU; it's too small, doesn't have a display, you have to pause in between each button press, and because it's wireless it is easy to misplace. I would look far and wide for a used genuine ETC wired RFU somewhere.

-Tim

Mayhaps you were thinking of this? Does not interface with the board, but works great as a cheap RFU

FocusPhone™

~Dave

I second Davey's note. I run FocusPhone to replace my ETC RFU for my Express and love it. There are different versions available, and the low cost option basically is just dimmer control. The Advanced version does some cue execution as well (I believe).

Considering the price points involved on some of this gear, I went with the FocusPhone after having to get my RFU repaired in 2 consecutive years. Replacing a $25 phone is way better than a $200 repair bill.

We have two handsets, one lives in the booth, the other ondeck and are very happy with the results.

I believe that the Congo uses the same RFR.

You can plug a cordless phone directly into the back of the Congo and Eos family consoles. We have a Congo Jr in the space right now, and I'm using a phone. Its nice having wireless basic control (used to expression wired RFU.) I do feel silly walking around with a cordless phone. :rolleyes:

Havent looked into the iPhone RFU too much, since it wont work with our Expression.

I don't think so. But the Congo series has its own specific RFU.

This is incorrect. Congo family products do work with the iRFR app. It is the same app for Congo as well as Eos-family consoles. Mind you, a Congo RFU retails for about $1k while an iPod Touch and the app can be found for a few hundred dollars.

I second Davey's note. I run FocusPhone to replace my ETC RFU for my Express and love it. There are different versions available, and the low cost option basically is just dimmer control. The Advanced version does some cue execution as well (I believe).

Considering the price points involved on some of this gear, I went with the FocusPhone after having to get my RFU repaired in 2 consecutive years. Replacing a $25 phone is way better than a $200 repair bill.

We have two handsets, one lives in the booth, the other ondeck and are very happy with the results.

Focus Phone, by West Side Systems, has been discontinued.

FocusPhone&#153

dmxPhone by DLS systems is still available through BMI. Page 71 of the current catalog. That's what I'm using.

(F) DmxPhone RFU
The dmxPhone allows a cordless telephone to be used as a wireless focus remote. It operates independently of the lighting console providing direct control of 512 DMX addresses. Simply place the interface in the DMX line between the console and the dimmers, connect your cordless phone, and the unit is ready to go. The dmxPhone can store up to twenty presets allowing it to act as a mini-console if the console is offline. Operates in either Highest Takes Precedence (HTP) or Remote Takes Precedence (RTP) modes allowing for complete control via the remote (phone).
Affordable and effective.
DMX Phone ......................................................................$426.55

As there seems to be some confusion on which remotes will work with which consoles here is a quick run-down:

Wired RFU: Express/ion, Obsession, and earlier consoles. (Discontinued)

RRFU: Express/ion consoles

cRRFU: Congo/Jr. consoles (Discontinued)

RFR: Eos/Element/Ion and Congo/Jr. consoles

iRFR: Eos/Element/Ion and Congo/Jr. consoles (same basic commands as the RFR plus some additional extras)

Cordless Phone: Congo/Jr, Ion, and Element consoles. Eos does not support this feature.

For a more complete list of remote devices, please see this Collabrative Article.

Stay tuned for future offerings...

This is incorrect. Congo family products do work with the iRFR app. It is the same app for Congo as well as Eos-family consoles. Mind you, a Congo RFU retails for about $1k while an iPod Touch and the app can be found for a few hundred dollars.

Thank you for correcting me. Looking back at threads about the iRFR I saw a few different things saying that it only worked with the Eos line.

If we do ever get an RFU/RFR it will probably be a FocusPhone, Yes I know it is discontinued, I am sure I could find one from a formor owner.

Anyways, Thank you everyone for your help. Was hoping I wouldn't have to nag the all mighty money wielders for this : p

Ah well, The show must go on : )

If we do ever get an RFU/RFR it will probably be a FocusPhone, Yes I know it is discontinued, I am sure I could find one from a formor owner.

Anyways, Thank you everyone for your help. Was hoping I wouldn't have to nag the all mighty money wielders for this : p

Ah well, The show must go on : )

BMI still has it in the catalog, but you can not order it. I talked to them awhile back about buying one and they don't have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back