Control/Dimming ETC Sensor dimmer not responding.

joeboo46

I work in a facility that has 3 Sensor 96 install racks and a Unison. I have 2 dimmers on the first rack that are not responding when they are sent data. They had worked for the previous 6 or 7 years and have recently stopped.

Here is what I know:
Checked patch at the console it is correct.
The signal lights are not lit even when i bring the dimmer to 100 at the CEM.
Checked CEM at rack the dimmers are not set to 0.
I swapped modules and still no response.

i researched some previous threads the only one I found with a similar issue involving a DF50? (I think that is the correct part number) was in this thread Control/Dimming - ETC Sensor Problem , but never was resolved.

The only other thing I could think of was the Unison which I did not have time to check. Is it possible to lock out a particular dimmer on the Unison that would not be overridden by the console?? Or has anyone run into a similar issue and have suggestions? Thank you in advance.

If indeed you were setting levels at the CEM and the dimmers were not responding, then neither your control console or Unison are the issue. However, I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly.

At the CEM, press [Dimmer], type in the dimmer number, [Enter], [At], [100] and [Enter]. If the dimmer comes on to full then type in [At], [Clear], [Enter]. Someone had set the dimmer to zero instead of releasing it when performing the same dimmer check function previously and is now fixed. If not, then....

Go into [Setup], [Dimmer], type in the dimmer number and make sure Mode is Normal and Scale is about 120 or Boost is 100. If Mode is Off, then that is your issue. Under Mode, press [Enter], use the arrows to select Normal and press [Enter].

If at any time you type in the dimmer number at the CEM following the above and it says "No Such Dimmer," then you probably have a corrupt config and need some technician help.

Let us know what you see,

David

I did not want to go into that much detail I guess I should have. Being very familiar with user programming of the CEM the first thing I did was check to make sure the dimmers were set to *NOT SET* and not to 0. I then set the dimmer to *100* and still no response or signal light at the module itself and yes I did press enter. I also checked the the MODE was set to NORMAL, the SCALE is at 115, and the BOOST is at 100. The dimmers do exist I did not run into "DIMMER DOES NOT EXIST." I then swapped the D20 module and repeated the above process still nothing. Is it possible that the data contacts are dirty or broken in that slot could that cause this issue. The problem is showing in two separate D20 modules on only 1 of the 2 dimmers in each module.

Great! Certainly sounds you know your way around the CEM.

Indeed it is possible to be a dirty contact but that is a rare condition. It is also possible to be a corroded or open trace on a signal distribution card, a damaged ribbon cable, or a damaged control connector in the backplane. Again, all quite rare.

So here's a simple one....is the CEM pushed in to the rack all the way?

One other thought...it is possible that there are some corroded traces on the CEM if it has been exposed to moisture. Oh, and another, there could be a bad output driver chip on the CEM.

I would suggest next swapping the control modules between rack 1 and another rack and see if the problem moves. This would really narrow down the problem to the CEM or a rack hardware issue.

Thoughts?

David

Yes, the CEM is indeed pushed in all the way I did also remove it and try reseating it. I experienced the CEM not being seated all the way once. Quite a while back actually in college after hours of troubleshooting and phone calls, I realized the CEM was seated a little sideways sideways which was allowing it to power up and appear everything was normal but it made the rack do some pretty cool stuff :) So, needless to say, that is now one of the very first things I check. I did not however swap CEMs with the other racks it was a bit too close to showtime to move things around. But when the building is open tomorrow I will head in and try swapping to see if the problem moves. Thank You for your help so far.

Still could be a soft problem as compared to a hardware failure. In addition to user settings, there is an eeprom in there with some factory programed software that is not accessible to the user. Might need a little ECT intervention to get that straightened out. (Like a default followed by initial configuration.)

I just tried to post this and it went away so if two appear I appoligize.
In your OP you said you switched the bad module to a new slot with no change. Are you saying it didn't work in the new slot or the other module didn't work in the bad spot.

clean the contacts
That was where I was going. Kill the power and clean contacts. I assume that the "bad" ones in a good slot worked. It is possible of a couple of other things but that is the simplist solution. If that doesn't fix it let us know.

OK, we have to narrow it down. Swap CEM's with another rack .... at this point, it sounds like the CEM, or power or data backplane of the rack. Also I have had CEMs that can actually seat too far, and loose some contacts... try pulling it out just a hair.
Hope it helps
RB

I finally got in to swap CEM's. The CEM i moved to the rack with the problems allowed everything to work just fine. So I guess it is the CEM. I also cleaned all the contacts anyway and still not working with the problem CEM. Now the hard part is getting the building to get this fixed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back