Control/Dimming ETC Sensor Problem

joshnelms

I've got a dimmer slot in a Sensor rack that isn't receiving power or signal to the module. It's a 50 amp module (D50F I believe is the part number). Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to resolve this?

I've already done power resets on the entire rack and reset the controller module. I've even taken compressed air and blown off all the modules and contacts. I've swapped the modules around in the rack and the problem stay with the slot position in the rack and not with the dimmer module.

The DMX sources that I have run through a Unison system that feeds the DMX information to the sensor racks.

This is not a new install, it's been working properly for several years, and just stopped working this week.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Without knowing your electrical knowledge I would not recommend checking this yourself, but the first place I would look is the contacts at the back of the slot. Checking to see if the hot and neutrals are still secure.

My second thought is to check and see if your dimmers or the channels they are patched to got parked to 00 on your console.

But your best option is to contact ETC or your local supplier and get a certified service technician to come check the unit. There are a few ETC people on here. They have done a lot to help me with my issues. I'm sure one of them will see this and chime in. I'm sure there is a shop in your area that has certified techs that would love to help solve your issue.

I've got a dimmer slot in a Sensor rack that isn't receiving power or signal to the module.

Likely one problem is causing the other and you dont' have both.

It's a 50 amp module (D50F I believe is the part number). Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to resolve this?

I've already done power resets on the entire rack and reset the controller module. I've even taken compressed air and blown off all the modules and contacts. I've swapped the modules around in the rack and the problem stay with the slot position in the rack and not with the dimmer module.

The DMX sources that I have run through a Unison system that feeds the DMX information to the sensor racks.

This is not a new install, it's been working properly for several years, and just stopped working this week.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Yeah, assuming you're not having patch issues at the board (yes I know I shouldn't assume, but hey) or patch issues at the rack you've done everything you can do yourself, its time to call Wisconsin.

Are you running Sensor racks or Sensor+ racks? Have you tried bringing the dimmer up using the CEM in the rack? Conversely, has anyone brought the dimmer up or down using the CEM? If you (or anyone else) has done this and set the dimmer to 0 as opposed to releasing it then it won't respond to any signals that are sent to it via DMX. I don't know if power cycling your rack/CEM would clear this (I have never tried) but it may be worth seeing if that is the problem. If you are not familiar with how to operate your CEMs you can get the manuals online.

As others have said, I'd definitely call ETC (800-688-4116) and discuss the issue with them. They'll take you through things step-by-step to identify the issue and help you facilitate a fix.

That said, here's a few things that it could be...
1) Console patch / glitch
2) Architectural system patch / glitch
3) Incorrect setting in your CEM or CEM+
a bit more unlikely, but still possible:
4) DMX Distribution card failure
5) Ribbon cable failure

Did ANYTHING change this week just prior to it happening? Construction? Hanging a new plot? New light on that circuit? Storm? Power surge? Intermittent flickering? Construction somewhere in the building? New console? Different patch? New presets recorded into Unison, or new or existing stations connected or disconnected to Unison?

You didn't specify which type of control module was in your dimmer rack...are you able to go into the "About" menu and query that particular dimmer to see if signal is talking to that particular dimmer? If so, I'd highly recommend looking at this...since it can show the DMX control indication furthest downstream and closest to the problem dimmer.

Abby
-ETC Field Service Tech, among many other hats I wear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back